Edmonton Cemeteries

  • Robert Boynton
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2002
      Hello

      Recently, I wrote an email to the Edmonton Cemeteries asking for a lookup
      for an individuals burial record. I was looking for the Burial record of
      someone who owns mineral rights in Alberta and were last known to live in
      Edmonton.

      I received an email in return from Tim McCargar stating that I needed to pay
      them $10.00 for this search.

      I wrote back to them stating that I had done research all over North America
      at cemeteries and I had never been asked for money before. I ask who
      instituted this and he said it was he himself and I could call him.

      Tim McCargar: (780) 496-6981 Director of the City of Edmonton Heritage
      Facilities. tim.mccargar@...

      Personally, I find this a disguting state of affairs.

      This is a money grab by an institution that has a monopoly on what is
      considered every where else to be, PUBLIC INFORMATION.

      This act of charging for public information flies in the face of all the
      people in North America Volunteering their time to provide information about
      our ancestry.

      Millions of hours were spent recording events like the Ellis Island
      Immigration, the Alberta Census Index, Cemetery indexes all over North
      America, including many in Calgary and all across Alberta, the CPR Land
      Aquisitions at the Glenbow, the list of acts of generosity of volunteers
      goes on and on.

      I, myself spent a year volunteering on the Genealogy Helplist for Calgary
      when it first came out.

      Myself, I cannot see the justification for charging for this information,
      can you?

      Rob Boynton
      Calgary

    • Rene
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2002
        Rob:

        Unfortunately, it's a fact of life - a case of supply and demand.

        When I first started to do research in 1981 I was able to obtain burial
        information from the cemetery in Leeds, Yorkshire where many of my people were
        buried for two pounds each request.

        Then without warning, many years ago now Leeds City Council decided to charge
        £25 per request - yes, twenty-five pounds sterling!

        Needless to say, I haven't submitted any requests since then.

        People who live locally can visit the cemetery office and look at the register
        free of charge.

        I might add that I have received a lot of useful information from the Saskatoon
        cemetery, free of charge. It all depends who is running the show I guess.

        Rene

        > Recently, I wrote an email to the Edmonton Cemeteries asking for a lookup
        > for an individuals burial record. I was looking for the Burial record of
        > someone who owns mineral rights in Alberta and were last known to live in
        > Edmonton.
        >
        > I received an email in return from Tim McCargar stating that I needed to pay
        > them $10.00 for this search.
        >
        > I wrote back to them stating that I had done research all over North America
        > at cemeteries and I had never been asked for money before. I ask who
        > instituted this and he said it was he himself and I could call him.
        >
        > Tim McCargar: (780) 496-6981 Director of the City of Edmonton Heritage
        > Facilities. tim.mccargar@...
        >
        > Personally, I find this a disguting state of affairs.
        >
        > This is a money grab by an institution that has a monopoly on what is
        > considered every where else to be, PUBLIC INFORMATION.
        >
        > This act of charging for public information flies in the face of all the
        > people in North America Volunteering their time to provide information about
        > our ancestry.
        >
        > Millions of hours were spent recording events like the Ellis Island
        > Immigration, the Alberta Census Index, Cemetery indexes all over North
        > America, including many in Calgary and all across Alberta, the CPR Land
        > Aquisitions at the Glenbow, the list of acts of generosity of volunteers
        > goes on and on.
        >
        > I, myself spent a year volunteering on the Genealogy Helplist for Calgary
        > when it first came out.
        >
        > Myself, I cannot see the justification for charging for this information,
        > can you?
        >
        > Rob Boynton
        > Calgary
        >
        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        > http://www.family-roots.ca

      • Ian Holmes
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 7, 2002
          Hi Rob

          AGS (the Alberta Genealogical Society) has worked extensively with the
          City of Edmonton and Tim McCargar over a number of years to document and
          share many of the burial records for City cemeteries. We have found him
          to be a good person. However, that area of the City Services always
          seems to be chronically understaffed and grateful for the input of the
          AGS volunteers. Obviously the City Council has been putting pressure on
          all of its staff to seek "cost recovery".

          It is not clear from your message exactly what information you are
          seeking from the city records or whether you are looking for a person
          who died less than 25 years ago. AGS has an extensive database of
          cemetery and burial information and it may be that your request could be
          responded to by the AGS research team at:

          agsoffice@...

          Just as a matter of interest, AGS and the Edmonton Branch rents its
          library space from the City in the Prince of Wales Armouries Heritage
          Center which is one of the City of Edmonton Heritage Facilities which
          Tim oversees. When we recently asked to expand our space we found out
          that the City prefers commercial rents which are far more than we can
          afford.

          Ian Holmes

          Robert Boynton wrote:

          > Hello
          > Recently, I wrote an email to the Edmonton Cemeteries asking for a lookup
          > for an individuals burial record. I was looking for the Burial record of
          > someone who owns mineral rights in Alberta and were last known to live in
          > Edmonton.
          >
          > I received an email in return from Tim McCargar stating that I needed to pay
          > them $10.00 for this search.
          >
          > I wrote back to them stating that I had done research all over North America
          > at cemeteries and I had never been asked for money before. I ask who
          > instituted this and he said it was he himself and I could call him.
          >
          > Tim McCargar: (780) 496-6981 Director of the City of Edmonton Heritage
          > Facilities. tim.mccargar@...
          >
          > Personally, I find this a disguting state of affairs.
          >
          > This is a money grab by an institution that has a monopoly on what is
          > considered every where else to be, PUBLIC INFORMATION.
          >
          > This act of charging for public information flies in the face of all the
          > people in North America Volunteering their time to provide information about
          > our ancestry.
          >
          > Millions of hours were spent recording events like the Ellis Island
          > Immigration, the Alberta Census Index, Cemetery indexes all over North
          > America, including many in Calgary and all across Alberta, the CPR Land
          > Aquisitions at the Glenbow, the list of acts of generosity of volunteers
          > goes on and on.
          >
          > I, myself spent a year volunteering on the Genealogy Helplist for Calgary
          > when it first came out.
          >
          > Myself, I cannot see the justification for charging for this information,
          > can you?
          >
          > Rob Boynton
          > Calgary
          >
          > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          > http://www.family-roots.ca

        • william campbell
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 7, 2002
            Hi Rob:

            May I suggest that you send your message, exactly as written, to the Mayor of
            the City of Edmonton.

            Good luck

            Bill

            --