ANNOUNCING 2012 Jamboree Extension Webinar Series

  • AFHS Webmaster
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 2011
      Thought I'd forward this one to dist-gen, as there may be some who are
      interested.

      I snipped a lot of it because it was so long. Follow the link for more
      details.

      Dawn Kirkpatrick, Webmaster
      Alberta Family Histories Society
      http://afhs.ab.ca

      ---------------------

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 19, 2011
        I read with interest the article, "From the Geneasphere" in today's Chinook,
        page 17. Joan Miller has a most useful write-up on the translating of
        material between languages, using Google Translate. I am corresponding
        these days with a third cousin in France, who does not know English and my
        French is barely high school level.

        Does it work? Yes, to a degree. Mostly, when you use the Google
        Translator, you get workable results. I would suggest a further step if you
        want to get better precision. First, I write up what I want in English.
        Then, I copy and paste the English text into the English --> French box in
        Google Translator. I then copy the resultant French translation and usually
        paste it somewhere. You then switch the translator to be French -->
        English. Now paste your new French version into the translator and see the
        English results. If it ends up sounding garbled, you still have a chance to
        fix it. Go back to your original English version and try some different
        words- just substitute, especially obscure words and tenses and also shorten
        the sentences if suitable. Then try again and see if you get closer.
        Google Translator is not perfect but it can be very practical.

        I use this technique to build a bilingual version of my Family Weber website
        and it is very readable. See
        http://www.genealowiki.com/bin/view.cgi/Weber/WebHome.

        My thanks to Joan Miller for explaining this most useful genealogy and
        website tool.

        Jim Benedict

        database 6725 (20111219) __________

        http://www.eset.com