RE: LAC

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 29, 2011

      I made one error – the current Librarian and Archivist of Canada has taught at several universities. This is the first time to my knowledge though that CAUT has cared who the National Librarian and Archivist is and what credentials he has.

      I just checked the library forums to which I belong and not a peep about any problems at or with LAC since 2007. Then the complaint was only about reduced hours available to the public. I search LAC collections often and I see more material than ever is available online.

      I believe the library and archives community would be the first to sound the alarm if it were necessary.

      This alarm bell was sounded for other collections and some turned out to be rumours too. That is what this is – a rumour or, worse, an attack/scare tactics. Every library and archives I know could use more funding. I used to be in the business myself (government, academic and corporate libraries and archives – then consultant to libraries/archives), so I know there are always institutions in jeopardy, but not LAC, which has been increasing holdings, indexing and digitizing records. They are reorganizing and have been for a number of years. I don’t think this means they are on the verge of collapse. In fact, I believe it is the opposite.

    • Joan Miller
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 29, 2011
        Xenia,
        Perhaps someone could put a comment on Dick Eastman's blog post giving the different point of view...to create some balance.  A lot of people read his blog.

        I note John Reid of Ottawa put the press release on his Anglo Celtic blog as well. http://anglo-celtic-connections.blogspot.com/2011/10/save-library-and-archives-canada.html

        Joan

        --
        Joan Miller
        Luxegen Genealogy

        ---
        Alberta Family Histories Society PR
        AFHS Blog
        | Twitter @AlbertaFHS |
        Facebook AlbertaFHS | Linkedin
        Email: publicity@...

        Innovation through Collaboration
        Rootstech Feb 2-4, 2012 Salt Lake City

        Genealogists for Families Kiva project

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 29, 2011

          I sent my original post to Dick Eastman. Too bad people are quoting CAUT’s Press Release and not checking to see what really is going on. Good for Wayne for replying in the first place to cast doubts on CAUT’s announcement and motive.

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 29, 2011
            YES, thanks  Wayne.

            We appreciate your alertness.

            BILL