Question from Debbie - WWI Military connection

  • Joan Miller
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2011
      Hi folks,
      I got this request.  Do you have suggestions for her?  Thanks!

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2011

        Joan: Debbie’s email address did not come through so please forward this to her.

        Having his attestation papers and regiment number is a start.  I assume the attestation paper does not show a home address or next-of-kin that would be of help.

        You next need to contact Library and Archives Canada, at www.collectionscanada.gc.ca.  You will be requesting the full military records of your grandfather.  They need the regimental number and will then determine the amount of material on file and the estimated cost of photocopying for you.  You can then decide on whether to proceed.  No guarantees that you will find what you seek but it makes for interesting reading.  I cannot find the right spot on this website on the above procedure, so start by sending them a query by email.  It worked for my wife’s grandfather.

        Good luck,

        Jim Benedict

        --

        __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6501 (20110928) __________