location description for Newfoundland

  • Lorna Laughton
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2011

      Hi Everyone:

      I am entering some information into my genealogy software for an ancestor in Newfoundland. What would be the correct name of the location?

      St. John’s, Newfoundland, British Colony? Newfoundland didn’t enter Confederation with Canada until 1949. Any ideas?

      Lorna

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2011

        Hi Lorna,

        What dates? Prior to 1907 Newfoundland was a colony, but in 1907 it became and remained a dominion until it joined Confederation. To avoid the distinction, I just enter it as Newfoundland before and after it became a dominion and after it became a province. I don’t add Canada after the word Newfoundland, again to keep it simpler unless there is dataof political or military reference that makes the distinction important.

        Xenia