Re: my website

  • Jim Benedict
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5, 2011
      It depends on what you want your website to do for you.  By that, I mean, is it okay the way it is now, or do you want to work on it further?  Sorry, but I don't even know what your website looks like currently or what Judy was doing for you on the site.  If you can send us the link to the site or the Internet address, some of us could take a look and make some further suggestions if you want.

      Jim Benedict
      Chair, Computer SIG of AFHS
      =================================

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 5, 2011
        sorry everyone for the lack of info.  The address is www.members.shaw.ca/kashuba4

        It isn’t up to date and I haven’t been doing research for some time.  I do, upon occasion, get an email from someone with one of my sur names.  I don’t know what to do to bring the site up to date.  I would send Judii a gedcom, but even that is a faint memory.  Thanks for any ideas.     Kathy

        made a website for me and had control of it.
        > If I wanted any
        changed made, I had to send the new info to her
        > and she would charge me
        to make the changes.

        > Now I am wondering what to do with my
        site.  I can’t access
        > it to take it off the net or to make any
        changes.  What
        > have others done?
        >
        > Thanks

        Kathy Kashuba
      • Phil Duby
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 5, 2011
          Ok, that is *your* web space associated with your shaw account.  If you can login to secure.shaw.ca you will get links on the left side.  Click "Internet" then "Manage email and webspace".  That should get you to where you can control the whole web site.  To make changes to the content, you need to login someplace else.  I **thought** that would be kashuba4.shawwebspace.ca/ but that does not exist (error and no option to logon).

          If you do not have the passwords needed, you can get them, or get them reset at least, by talking to shaw technical support.  They should be able to tell you where to login as well.  See http://shaw.ca/Contact-Us/ for phone number.

          --
          Phil

          On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 21:33, Wally & kathy <Kashuba4@...> wrote:
          sorry everyone for the lack of info.  The address is www.members.shaw.ca/kashuba4

          It isn’t up to date and I haven’t been doing research for some time.  I do, upon occasion, get an email from someone with one of my sur names.  I don’t know what to do to bring the site up to date.  I would send Judii a gedcom, but even that is a faint memory.  Thanks for any ideas.     Kathy

          > Judy Remple made a website for me and had control of it.
          > If I wanted any changed made, I had to send the new info to her
          > and she would charge me to make the changes.
          >
          > Now I am wondering what to do with my site.  I can’t access
          > it to take it off the net or to make any changes.  What
          > have others done?
          >
          > Thanks
          > Kathy Kashuba

        • Yvette Campagne
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 6, 2011
            Message
            At this point there are a almost an infinite number of possibilities here of the way she could have set up your website.  We need more information from you.

            Do you pay an annual fee to a company for this website?  If so, look for an email from them with a username and password and a change-the-website link.  Or Judith probably sent you this information and you didn't know what it was so ignored it.  Once you get that, then you need to find a new person to look after your website for you.

            If it is a free website, then send your website link (www.yourwebsite.com) and any number of people here could lookup and find the name of the company where you are registered.  Then you could search your inbox for emails from them for those three pieces of information that you need before you can proceed.

            Good luck,
            Yvette Campagne

            > Judy Remple made a website for me and had control of it.
            > If I wanted any changed made, I had to send the new info to her
            > and she would charge me to make the changes.
            >
            > Now I am wondering what to do with my site.  I can’t access
            > it to take it off the net or to make any changes.  What
            > have others done?
            >
            > Thanks
            > Kathy Kashuba
          • Yvette Campagne
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 6, 2011
              Message
              Sorry all, jumped in too soon.  I agree you will have to call Shaw to get your password reset.

              As for the website, she used a program available here - http://www.gedpage.com/ for $10 US.

              Good luck,
              Yvette

              > Judy Remple made a website for me and had control of it.
              > If I wanted any changed made, I had to send the new info to her
              > and she would charge me to make the changes.
              >
              > Now I am wondering what to do with my site.  I can’t access
              > it to take it off the net or to make any changes.  What
              > have others done?
              >
              > Thanks
              > Kathy Kashuba
            • Wally & kathy
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 6, 2011
                Thanks to all of you for your help.  I will attempt to contact Shaw and see what happens.

                Kathy