RE: Swedish town name

    Message 1 of 4 , May 29, 2011

      This is from the index on Ancestry (I added occupation, next-of-kin information and final destination from the record):

      New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957

      Name: John Alfred Fried

      Arrival Date: 9 Dec 1907

      Birth Year: abt 1865

      Birth Location: Sweden

      Birth Location Other: tadalwlus

      Age: 42

      Occupation: contractor

      Gender: Male

      Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Swedish

      Lists mother as person of next-of-kin in place of departure - name Johanna Fried.

      Port of Departure: Liverpool, England

      Port of Arrival: New York, New York

      Final Destination: Lincoln, Nebraska

      Ship Name: Lusitania

      Source Citation: Year: 1907; Microfilm Serial: T715; Microfilm Roll: T715_1057; Line: 17; Page Number: 114.

      Looking at it more closely today, it looks like Tadaholm. Definitely looks like an a following the T, not i as in Tidaholm, but could have been misspelled by the recorder, since there is a Tidaholm as two people have pointed out.

      Someone suggested that other passengers may have come from the same place and the name may be clearer elsewhere. I already tried that. There were several from Arboro, Sweden, but no others from the same location as John Alfred Fried. He had already immigrated to the U.S. by 1881, married and had a family in the U.S. He went back to Sweden for a visit by himself. Perhaps to attend his father’s funeral. Just a guess because he listed his mother as next-of-kin at place of departure.

      I am going to use the Tidaholm as the location unless someone can tell me otherwise.

      Xenia

      Message 2 of 4 , May 29, 2011

        Thank you to everyone who replied to me. I forgot to say this in my last message. I am going to go with the Tidaholm, which now three people have suggested.

        Again thanks. This is a very helpful group. I even had a response from someone in Norway. Amazing.

        Xenia Stanford

        Phone: 250-763-3734

        Fax: 250-763-3743

        Kelowna, BC