Swedish town name

    Message 1 of 4 , May 28, 2011

      I am hoping one of you can help me figure out the name of a town in Sweden from a passenger list record. It looks like Tadaholear or something like that. I can email the relevant passenger list if you think you can help decipher it.

      Xenia Stanford

      Message 2 of 4 , May 28, 2011

        The indexer indexed it as tadalwlus but I cannot find a place with that name.

        Xenia

        Message 3 of 4 , May 29, 2011

          This is from the index on Ancestry (I added occupation, next-of-kin information and final destination from the record):

          New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957

          Name: John Alfred Fried

          Arrival Date: 9 Dec 1907

          Birth Year: abt 1865

          Birth Location: Sweden

          Birth Location Other: tadalwlus

          Age: 42

          Occupation: contractor

          Gender: Male

          Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Swedish

          Lists mother as person of next-of-kin in place of departure - name Johanna Fried.

          Port of Departure: Liverpool, England

          Port of Arrival: New York, New York

          Final Destination: Lincoln, Nebraska

          Ship Name: Lusitania

          Source Citation: Year: 1907; Microfilm Serial: T715; Microfilm Roll: T715_1057; Line: 17; Page Number: 114.

          Looking at it more closely today, it looks like Tadaholm. Definitely looks like an a following the T, not i as in Tidaholm, but could have been misspelled by the recorder, since there is a Tidaholm as two people have pointed out.

          Someone suggested that other passengers may have come from the same place and the name may be clearer elsewhere. I already tried that. There were several from Arboro, Sweden, but no others from the same location as John Alfred Fried. He had already immigrated to the U.S. by 1881, married and had a family in the U.S. He went back to Sweden for a visit by himself. Perhaps to attend his father’s funeral. Just a guess because he listed his mother as next-of-kin at place of departure.

          I am going to use the Tidaholm as the location unless someone can tell me otherwise.

          Xenia

          Message 4 of 4 , May 29, 2011

            Thank you to everyone who replied to me. I forgot to say this in my last message. I am going to go with the Tidaholm, which now three people have suggested.

            Again thanks. This is a very helpful group. I even had a response from someone in Norway. Amazing.

            Xenia Stanford

            Phone: 250-763-3734

            Fax: 250-763-3743

            Kelowna, BC