RE: Quebec birth

    Message 1 of 2 , May 17 8:42 PM

      She can contact PEI Archives either by email or postal address

      See http://www.archives.pe.ca/index.php3?number=1025351&lang=E

      I searched their online database but could not find a John Quin or Quinn with and without the middle name but there is nothing in their current online database. However, they could search the records for her as not all records are online.

      If she searches in the census records, the adoptive family was also indexed as Corley. The birth place and date on census records are not always correct. On the 1881 Census with the Corleys, his birthplace is given as a ditto mark along with the parents and their birth children.

      Where she assumes the name of the head of household on the 1871 is Given, it is actually Quinn – the handwriting of the surname of the father and the surname of John, the youngest member of the family, shown on the next page are identical. The surname of the others is given as John on the indexing because the name of the HOH is Quinn John (which the indexer put as first name Given). Thus these could be his birth family and he could have been taken in by the Curley or Corley family as a farm labourer or other worker and not been adopted by them – formally or informally. He may have felt he spent more time with the Corleys than his birth family and thus adopted their name. This happened frequently in that era for children of his age when a family felt they could no longer support a child when he or she reached 10 or older.

      I would go with the birth record for John Quinn in Ontario in 1870 or keep an open mind about when and where he was born. The mother’s name is different on the 1870 birth, so this may not be the right family. However, my suggestion is to keep looking with a view that the birth year and date could be somewhat different (year or two) from that given on the census.

      Xenia Stanford