RE: Ancestry.ca

  • Jim Benedict
    Message 1 of 5 , May 12 7:16 PM

      I think your client is hoping to transfer the family information FROM Ancestry and move it TO a genealogy program, rather than the other way around.  Unfortunately, Ancestry does not have a method of exporting from Ancestry.ca to a GEDCOM file.  If this is the direction your client wants to go, then I don’t see any easy way to do it; it will have to be re-typed.

      One likely reason for this blockage is that any visitor to your client’s Ancestry.ca family tree could just lift the years of work in a few clicks.  That would be bad publicity for Ancestry.

      Jim Benedict

      Message 2 of 5 , May 13 6:03 PM

        Glad I could help, but I have forwarded you email from David Lee, who has a better answer.  I tried his trick in Ancestry:

        ·         Go to Ancestry.ca and go to your client’s family tree page.

        ·         Near the top there is a link, “Tree pages”

        ·         Hover over it and you can see a choice, “Tree settings”.   Click it.

        ·         On the Tree Settings page, on the right, is “Manage your tree” and a button, “Export tree”.

        ·         That brings up another button, “Download your GEDCOM file” along with a download tips hyperlink.

        I haven’t tried the rest of the process but it should be self-directing.  As with the nature of GEDCOM files, you may not get all the information extracted, but it should be a lot better than typing!

        Good luck,

        Jim Benedict

        Thank you for your reply. My client wants to go from Ancestry to a software program. She has her family tree blocked on Ancestry so only she can see it.  I will let her know what you said.

        Thanks again.

        Heather

        __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6120 (20110513) __________

        http://www.eset.com