Ancestry.ca

  • Heather Jaremko
    Message 1 of 5 , May 12, 2011
      Hello all,

      I am working with a client and she is doing her family tree on Ancestry.ca. Is there any way, short of re-typing all of her information, that she can put the family tree into a genealogy program?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Sincerely,
      Heather Jaremko
    • Wayne Shepheard
      Message 2 of 5 , May 12, 2011
        I believe that you can upload a GEDCOM file directly to begin your new tree.  Consult Ancestry or see their instructions at http://trees.ancestry.com/Default.aspx?req=tree

        Wayne Shepheard
        Editor, Chinook

        Message 3 of 5 , May 12, 2011
          When you do this, open a new empty file, import the gedcom, look at it, see if there is anything you would like to tweak - the gedcom is a text file, so changes can be made.

          Even if you do not make changes to the ged com, it is likely you will want to make changes to the file, so do so, wait a few days, think about it, look at it. . . before you import it into your main file, at which point, you will have to merge them.

          BEFORE you merge - save a copy of both files. Clearly date and identify them.
          1. imported gedcom
          2. tweaked gedcom import
          3. my family file correct as of
          4. merged family ged com.

          DO NOT add any new info to any of them for several days.

          Good luck, it is doable, but, time consuming.

          Mary

          Message 4 of 5 , May 12, 2011

            I think your client is hoping to transfer the family information FROM Ancestry and move it TO a genealogy program, rather than the other way around.  Unfortunately, Ancestry does not have a method of exporting from Ancestry.ca to a GEDCOM file.  If this is the direction your client wants to go, then I don’t see any easy way to do it; it will have to be re-typed.

            One likely reason for this blockage is that any visitor to your client’s Ancestry.ca family tree could just lift the years of work in a few clicks.  That would be bad publicity for Ancestry.

            Jim Benedict

            I am working with a client and she is doing her family tree on Ancestry.ca. Is there any way, short of re-typing all of her information, that she can put the family tree into a genealogy program?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

            Sincerely,

            Heather Jaremko

            __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6117 (20110512) __________

            http://www.eset.com
          • Jim Benedict
            Message 5 of 5 , May 13, 2011

              Glad I could help, but I have forwarded you email from David Lee, who has a better answer.  I tried his trick in Ancestry:

              ·         Go to Ancestry.ca and go to your client’s family tree page.

              ·         Near the top there is a link, “Tree pages”

              ·         Hover over it and you can see a choice, “Tree settings”.   Click it.

              ·         On the Tree Settings page, on the right, is “Manage your tree” and a button, “Export tree”.

              ·         That brings up another button, “Download your GEDCOM file” along with a download tips hyperlink.

              I haven’t tried the rest of the process but it should be self-directing.  As with the nature of GEDCOM files, you may not get all the information extracted, but it should be a lot better than typing!

              Good luck,

              Jim Benedict

              Thank you for your reply. My client wants to go from Ancestry to a software program. She has her family tree blocked on Ancestry so only she can see it.  I will let her know what you said.

              Thanks again.

              Heather

              __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6120 (20110513) __________

              http://www.eset.com