Image management

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2002
      Ten FamilyRoots pictures sent as an e-mail attachment using Outlook Express
      6 would show for other OE 6 users as ten small JPG files attached to a short
      text message show pictures below the e-mail. "Save attachments" allows
      pictures to be saved with one click in a selected folder on the hard drive.
      Some Internet services do not allow the transfer of sets of pictures or
      attachments over a certain size.

      This morning, I found a news site with a series of 14 maps as a
      timeline-style slide show. Text and additional pictures were included to the
      right of each small map. That kind of feature would be great for a family
      history "book" copied to CD-ROM or a web page. Much easier than a single PDF
      map that required zooming in to read locations and scrolling to see parts of
      a larger image. Better than double clicking each thumbnail to see a larger
      copy of a picture with no caption.

      IrfanView from Europe is a small program just under 800 kb that allows
      pictures to be resized. It isn't needed if a person is using a good image
      editing program. Windows XP has a built in slide show option. Fewer add-on
      programs are needed if a person has a recent computer and one good software
      program for each purpose. I switched from Corel PhotoPaint to Paint Shop Pro
      in 1996 and depend on the features like the easy option for selection of JPG
      quality.

      Each person needs to make the best use of existing equipment for a family
      history project and the Internet. Sometimes it isn't practical to upgrade
      old equipment or buy expensive updates for programs that came with a
      computer, scanner or camera. I felt completely helpless looking at the
      scanning and image editing software used for the scanning table
      demonstration on October 26.

      Images need to be planned for specific uses. There are discussions in my
      other mailing lists this week about suitable size of images for web pages
      and family books. One fellow had images that showed 3/4 of each picture with
      commonly used settings. He didn't know there was a problem for most visitors
      because he uses an expensive large screen and a fit to screen option. Does
      he want visitors to see a person without feet or without a head on the site
      about safety equipment?
      Elizabeth