BEYOND PAGE/PAIGE

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2011

      The last comment on the list regarding this issue was that I may have mis-interpreted the handwriting and the real occupation was “paige”.  I accept this as a possibility, and think that all the comments really lead to the same general conclusion.  The Page/paige was a very junior assistant, helper or gofer that may be aspiring to higher responsibilities in a service position, in a household or institution.

      I hope that’s an adequate summary.

      In the enumerator’s description of the Enumeration District, there is nothing distinctive about the “institutions” of the ED – just a recitation of the road-boundaries.

      I decided to flip through the 45 pp of the ED and note the individuals who might be more likely to hire a paige.  I found no other mention of a page/paige on any of these 35 pp.  The closest were errand boy (3), factory boy (1), shepherd boy (1) and a couple of railway porters.

      These are the potential employers:

      ·         Vicar

      ·         Hop Merchant

      ·         Beer house keeper

      ·         Boot & shoe maker (collector of rents)

      ·         Corn dealer

      ·         Stationer & Collector of Taxes

      ·         Decorator Master (employing 38 men & boys)

      ·         Bengal Civil Service Retired

      ·         M.D.

      ·         Lady – Income and Investment Property [large live-in staff]

      ·         Mineral water proprietor

      ·         H.M. Batallion Cold… Oudrchs..  [head of household: Alfred Silvester]

      ·         Lastly, the Royal Asylum of St. Anne’s Society (school for 400 children) was nearby (in Streatham, but in another ED).

      Parentheses indicate content from census page; brackets are my comments.

      In addition, more than 30 constables/police lived in the ED, including those in high positions.  So, I’m thinking that there must have been a police station/courthouse in the vicinity – needing a page/paige.

      No conclusion from all this – but a better understanding of the neighbourhood I think.

      Judith (Judii) Rempel

      rempel@...