Occupationi: page

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2011

      I’ve got an interesting entry in an 1871 English Census page for a family that I’m pursuing.

      Daniel and Maria Rudland are living in Streatham, Surrey, England - where Daniel is a master harness maker and their eldest son is a groom.  However, a younger son is a “page”.   A ”visitor” in the family on census night was a boot salesman.

      I’ve gone through a few “old occupations” type websites and it doesn’t crop up much or in a way that feels consistent with the other family occupations.  My best guess at the present time is that he was some kind of ‘assistant’ or “go fer”.

      In subsequent censuses he is:

      ·         1881:  waiter

      ·         1891:  draper’s assistant

      ·         1901:  Photographer

      ·         1911:  photographer

      Knowledge, thoughts or opinions welcome.  I can supply the image to individuals if they want to review my judgement of what the enumerator actually wrote.

      Judith (Judii) Rempel

      rempel@...

    • Rene Dussome
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30, 2011
        Judith:

        I "googled" page occupation and here is the reply:

        What does a page(occupation) do?

        The best description, would be a gofer.

        A page runs errands, ushers people, and generally does the bidding of those he/she works for.

        It is hardly a glamorous job, however some have gone on to lucrative careers in show business, Regis Philbin for one.

        Cheers, Rene Dussome