DNA TESTING LABS

  • Ann Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2011
      Does anyone have experience with DNA testing labs - I'm looking to set up testing for a one-name group. Any suggestions would be welcome.

      Ann Williams
    • Joan Miller
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 12, 2011
        Hi Ann,
        This is good timing.  I have been thinking about starting a DNA SIG and talking to several members who have tested to see who is interested.

        I have experience with two testing labs, Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) and 23andme.  I recommend you go with the company with the largest database of people previously tested.  In this case, that would be FTDNA.  Many of the big surname groups are there.

        Joan Miller

        --
        Joan Miller
        Luxegen Genealogy

      • Jim Benedict
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2011

          I used Family Tree DNA, same as Joan Miller.  Another person is administrating the Benedict surname DNA and he has shown the results in a tablular format, which is on the web at:

          http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~benedicttopics/34a-test_results-table_a.html

          I am also looking after the Benedict surname as a one-name study under the Guild of One Name Studies.  If you can dig back into the Chinook past issues, I wrote an article on this in the January 2009 Vol. 29 #2 edition.

          Good luck on your research,

          __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5950 (20110313) __________

          http://www.eset.com