Re: Herald

  • Gord Hulbert
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 27, 2002
      From: "Frank Reaume" <frankreaume@...>
      To: <dist-gen@...>; "Charles Aubin" <cwaubin@...>
      Sent: Sunday, October 27, 2002 9:31 PM
      Subject: Re: Herald

      > Hi Charles,
      >
      > Here is a copy of that article from the Herald. I found it on the
      Herald's

      http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgaryherald/story.asp?id={0ECCE1EA-D093-4568
      > -84D8-243D29E07B5F}
      >
      > Frank Reaume
      >

      > Genealogy forum draws hundreds
      >
      > David Bly
      > Calgary Herald
      > Sunday, October 27, 2002
      >
      > It's been a great week for genealogists, says Gordon Hulbert, one of the
      > organizers of Roots 2002, the annual conference of the Alberta Family
      > Histories Society.
      >
      > The conference, held Saturday at the Hospitality Inn on Macleod Trail,
      > followed on the heels of the opening of an online census database
      Wednesday,
      > and the enthusiastic response Friday to a project that links DNA and
      > genealogical research.
      >
      > "Genealogy has been given a huge boost," Hulbert said.
      >
      > The family history conference attracted more than 400 people who came to
      > learn more about various areas of genealogical research and the latest
      > technology.
      >
      > Many of those who attended Saturday's seminars crowded into a southwest
      > Calgary church Friday night to hear about the Molecular Genealogy Research
      > Project. About 350 people donated pedigree charts and DNA samples to the
      > project.
      >
      > Tod Schulthess, general manager of the Sorenson Molecular Genealogy
      > Foundation, said his foundation aims to gather hundreds of thousands of
      DNA
      > samples from around the world and will use the research to construct a
      > molecular "family tree" that shows how people from different parts of the
      > world are related.
      >
      > The research is funded mainly by James Sorenson, an American known for his
      > invention of various medical devices, including a new type of surgical
      mask
      > and more effective IV needles.
      >
      > In a video shown at Friday's presentation, Sorenson said he's invented
      many
      > things, but DNA research is the biggest thing he's been involved in.
      >
      > Schulthess said the DNA collected for the research cannot be misused. The
      > genetic markers use in the research are "junk DNA," he said, not useful in
      > identifying physical characteristics.
      >
      > "It won't tell us what colour your eyes are or if you're prone to
      baldness,"
      > he said.
      >
      > He said he was overwhelmed by the Calgary response to the project, which
      he
      > said was far greater than in any other city the foundation has visited.
      >
      > The event was organized with the help of the Family Histories Society, as
      > well as the Family History Centre of the Church of Jesus Christ of
      > Latter-day Saints.
      >
      > At Saturday's conference, Hulbert said the DNA project attracts attention
      > genealogy.
      >
      > "It's like the Internet fuss of a few years ago," he said. And like the
      > Internet, the project has the potential to push genealogical research
      ahead
      > "by great leaps."
      >
      > "I think maybe in five or 10 years, you're going to see some big things
      come
      > out of this."
      >
      > On Wednesday, the LDS church launched a database of the 1880 U.S. census,
      > the 1881 Canadian census and the 1881 British census. This allows, among
      > other things, a person to search all three censuses at the same time.
      >
      > Dave Obee of Victoria, one of the speakers at the conference, said
      genealogy
      > is detective work.
      >
      > "This is more fun than reading a detective novel," he said, "because it's
      > real, and when you're done, you have something in your hands.
      >
      > "Genealogists are aware of what's going on in the world because they know
      > things like geography, politics and persecution."
      >
      > There's something approaching a subculture among family history
      enthusiasts.
      > Among the books, maps and research aids offered for sale were more
      whimsical
      > items, such as bumper stickers that read "Genealogy: Living in the Past
      > Lane," ties with old photographs on them, and T-shirts adorned with
      pedigree
      > charts.
      >
      > blyd@...
      >
      > © Copyright 2002 Calgary Herald

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • william campbell
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 27, 2002
        SUNDAY'S HERALD   PAGE C4

        Gord Hulbert wrote:

        > Hi there:
        >
        > For those of you that receive the Calgary Herald, be sure to look for Davis
        > Bly's article in this monrning's newspaper.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Gord Hulbert
        > http://www.Hulbert.ca
        > http://www.Family-Roots.ca
        > http://www.Wersi-Users-Group.org

        William A. Campbell
        Calgary, Alberta, Canada

      • E.Rodier
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 27, 2002
          Page C4 in the City Section of a Herald from a coin box not far from the
          hotel.
          Elizabeth