Re: Herald

  • Frank Reaume
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 27, 2002
      Hi Charles,

      Here is a copy of that article from the Herald. I found it on the Herald's
      website at this URL:
      http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgaryherald/story.asp?id={0ECCE1EA-D093-4568
      -84D8-243D29E07B5F}

      Frank Reaume

      Genealogy forum draws hundreds

      David Bly
      Calgary Herald
      Sunday, October 27, 2002

      It's been a great week for genealogists, says Gordon Hulbert, one of the
      organizers of Roots 2002, the annual conference of the Alberta Family
      Histories Society.

      The conference, held Saturday at the Hospitality Inn on Macleod Trail,
      followed on the heels of the opening of an online census database Wednesday,
      and the enthusiastic response Friday to a project that links DNA and
      genealogical research.

      "Genealogy has been given a huge boost," Hulbert said.

      The family history conference attracted more than 400 people who came to
      learn more about various areas of genealogical research and the latest
      technology.

      Many of those who attended Saturday's seminars crowded into a southwest
      Calgary church Friday night to hear about the Molecular Genealogy Research
      Project. About 350 people donated pedigree charts and DNA samples to the
      project.

      Tod Schulthess, general manager of the Sorenson Molecular Genealogy
      Foundation, said his foundation aims to gather hundreds of thousands of DNA
      samples from around the world and will use the research to construct a
      molecular "family tree" that shows how people from different parts of the
      world are related.

      The research is funded mainly by James Sorenson, an American known for his
      invention of various medical devices, including a new type of surgical mask
      and more effective IV needles.

      In a video shown at Friday's presentation, Sorenson said he's invented many
      things, but DNA research is the biggest thing he's been involved in.

      Schulthess said the DNA collected for the research cannot be misused. The
      genetic markers use in the research are "junk DNA," he said, not useful in
      identifying physical characteristics.

      "It won't tell us what colour your eyes are or if you're prone to baldness,"
      he said.

      He said he was overwhelmed by the Calgary response to the project, which he
      said was far greater than in any other city the foundation has visited.

      The event was organized with the help of the Family Histories Society, as
      well as the Family History Centre of the Church of Jesus Christ of
      Latter-day Saints.

      At Saturday's conference, Hulbert said the DNA project attracts attention to
      genealogy.

      "It's like the Internet fuss of a few years ago," he said. And like the
      Internet, the project has the potential to push genealogical research ahead
      "by great leaps."

      "I think maybe in five or 10 years, you're going to see some big things come
      out of this."

      On Wednesday, the LDS church launched a database of the 1880 U.S. census,
      the 1881 Canadian census and the 1881 British census. This allows, among
      other things, a person to search all three censuses at the same time.

      Dave Obee of Victoria, one of the speakers at the conference, said genealogy
      is detective work.

      "This is more fun than reading a detective novel," he said, "because it's
      real, and when you're done, you have something in your hands.

      "Genealogists are aware of what's going on in the world because they know
      things like geography, politics and persecution."

      There's something approaching a subculture among family history enthusiasts.
      Among the books, maps and research aids offered for sale were more whimsical
      items, such as bumper stickers that read "Genealogy: Living in the Past
      Lane," ties with old photographs on them, and T-shirts adorned with pedigree
      charts.

      blyd@...

      © Copyright 2002 Calgary Herald

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 27, 2002
> [...]
        > other things, a person to search all three censuses at the same time.
        >
        > Dave Obee of Victoria, one of the speakers at the conference, said
        genealogy
        > is detective work.
        >
        > "This is more fun than reading a detective novel," he said, "because it's
        > real, and when you're done, you have something in your hands.
        >
        > "Genealogists are aware of what's going on in the world because they know
        > things like geography, politics and persecution."
        >
        > There's something approaching a subculture among family history
        enthusiasts.
        > Among the books, maps and research aids offered for sale were more
        whimsical
        > items, such as bumper stickers that read "Genealogy: Living in the Past
        > Lane," ties with old photographs on them, and T-shirts adorned with

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • william campbell
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 27, 2002
          SUNDAY'S HERALD   PAGE C4

          Gord Hulbert wrote:

          > Hi there:
          >
          > For those of you that receive the Calgary Herald, be sure to look for Davis
          > Bly's article in this monrning's newspaper.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Gord Hulbert
          > http://www.Hulbert.ca
          > http://www.Family-Roots.ca
          > http://www.Wersi-Users-Group.org

          William A. Campbell
          Calgary, Alberta, Canada

        • E.Rodier
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 27, 2002
            Page C4 in the City Section of a Herald from a coin box not far from the
            hotel.
            Elizabeth