RE: Someone looking for a Jesuit priest in Canada

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2011

      Hi Joan & Audrey,

      There is a book at the University of Calgary (I don’t know the title or call number) that has bios of Jesuit priests up to about 1970 or 1980. They only included those priests who deceased at time of publication. The card catalogue is online so you can search there for Jesuit priests as a subject and I’m sure you would find it. If you are not in Calgary check your local library for an interlibrary-loan. I think the book was in the non-circulating collection, but you could get them to send a copy of the relevant page to you.

      There are a few other resources, if that one doesn’t work.

      Also the Drouin Collection at Ancestry.ca should give you birth/baptism and death/burial. Also if he was a parish priest, you can find out what parishes he was at – again a book whose title I do not recall.

      I am busy today, but if this doesn’t help you, email me and I’ll see what I can do tomorrow.

      Xenia Stanford

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31, 2011
        Thanks for the suggestions everyone!  I'll forward them to Audrey.

        Audrey connected with me on Linkedin.com and I believe she lives in San Diego.

        Thanks again,
        Joan Miller

        --
        Joan Miller
        Luxegen Genealogy

        ----
        Recommended: online service Mozy
        to backup precious Family Photos.
        (2 GB free).

        --
        Joan Miller
        Luxegen Genealogy

        ----
        Recommended: online service Mozy
        to backup precious Family Photos.
        (2 GB free).

      • Christine Hayes
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011

          I think the book is the Dictionary of Jesuit Biography: Ministry to English Canada.  UC call number BX3755 .D53 1991.  It looks like it is available for interlibrary loan as well.

          Christine

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011

            Has she contacted the relevant diocese archives?  Catholic diocese in Canada all maintain their own archives.  She could google to find address.

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011
              Has your inquirer seen the Jesuit website at:

              http://www.jesuits.ca/index.php

              From the home page select "about us" and then click in the side bar
              "English Canada Brief History". This brings up an extract from the book
              "Dictionary of Jesuit Biography" previously mentioned, which contains a timeline
              of their activities in English Canada.

              Selecting "contact us" from the home page brings up a form to send enquiries to
              them.

              I hope this helps.

              Charlie Hansen
            • Joan Miller