Someone looking for a Jesuit priest in Canada

  • Joan Miller
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2011
      Hi all,
      Someone asked the following question.  Can anyone help?  Where should they start researching?

      Hi Joan...
      Thanks for connecting with me.
      I have a gr. uncle who was a Jesuit Priest in Canada in the early - mid 1900's and who died there. Don't have too much info on him but have never had any luck finding anything on him in Canada. I contacted several of the Jesuit groups in the past, with no luck. Any suggestions on where to look?
      Would appreciate any help you could provide...
      Many thanks!
      Audrey

      --
      Joan Miller
      Luxegen Genealogy

      ----
      Recommended: online service Mozy
      to backup precious Family Photos.
      (2 GB free).

    • Carol Lylyk
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31, 2011
        Hello Joan,

        She might be able to get help by posting a Query to AFHS giving the uncle's name.

        Carol

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2011

          Hi Joan & Audrey,

          There is a book at the University of Calgary (I don’t know the title or call number) that has bios of Jesuit priests up to about 1970 or 1980. They only included those priests who deceased at time of publication. The card catalogue is online so you can search there for Jesuit priests as a subject and I’m sure you would find it. If you are not in Calgary check your local library for an interlibrary-loan. I think the book was in the non-circulating collection, but you could get them to send a copy of the relevant page to you.

          There are a few other resources, if that one doesn’t work.

          Also the Drouin Collection at Ancestry.ca should give you birth/baptism and death/burial. Also if he was a parish priest, you can find out what parishes he was at – again a book whose title I do not recall.

          I am busy today, but if this doesn’t help you, email me and I’ll see what I can do tomorrow.

          Xenia Stanford

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 31, 2011
            Thanks for the suggestions everyone!  I'll forward them to Audrey.

            Audrey connected with me on Linkedin.com and I believe she lives in San Diego.

            Thanks again,
            Joan Miller

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011

              I think the book is the Dictionary of Jesuit Biography: Ministry to English Canada.  UC call number BX3755 .D53 1991.  It looks like it is available for interlibrary loan as well.

              Christine

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011

                Has she contacted the relevant diocese archives?  Catholic diocese in Canada all maintain their own archives.  She could google to find address.

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011
                  Has your inquirer seen the Jesuit website at:

                  http://www.jesuits.ca/index.php

                  From the home page select "about us" and then click in the side bar
                  "English Canada Brief History". This brings up an extract from the book
                  "Dictionary of Jesuit Biography" previously mentioned, which contains a timeline
                  of their activities in English Canada.

                  Selecting "contact us" from the home page brings up a form to send enquiries to
                  them.

                  I hope this helps.

                  Charlie Hansen
                • Joan Miller