Re: SOGS databases

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2011

      Wendy – I want to thank you greatly for the time you took to reply to me with this great analysis and recommendation.  I’m so sorry that I didn’t thank you immediately, but my time to read, digest and decide based on your e-mail slipped away due to other pressures.  Now I plan to investigate again today.  I too have an Ancestry account (global, though my current useage is heavily UK, moderately Canada and almost no US), and I have the 1911 census at FindMyPast.  For me that was the correct complement because the military materials at FMP didn’t seem to be strong enough and argument to include it, and I planned to “pay as you go” for BMDs for the reasons you outline below (sometimes it’s great to have multiple eyes/transcriptions).  I similarly use familysearch.org for that … and have discovered that in some areas their indexes are much more detailed.  However, since the LDS environment typically has no images – I’m not as satisfied.  I’m a fussy researcher and like to see the records that someone else has indexed (and rarely are they transcribed – in full).

      The real puzzle for me was what TheGenealogist” had to offer incrementally.  I wasn’t sure if they were calling indexes transcripts (I consider them to be completely different things), and whether there were images associated.  I really don’t care about transcripts if indexes provide access to images.  Effective search engines make a big difference and I think Ancestry  has come a LONG way in this regard (despite their lack of precisions – understandably – when it comes to interpreting handwriting correctly).  FindMyPast seems to take a better examination of indexing quality control, but they lack the breath of resources that Ancestry has.

      What may set the 4 sites apart is how they manage the “Bishops’ Transcripts’.  I’m hoping for high quality indexes and links to images.  On TheGenealogist , I couldn’t figure out what exactly they were offering – their transcripts (and no images), images (but not indexed) or….

      As you point out there are other resources as well.  And, I’ve been using FreeBMD as well – but only after your e-mail discovered that it had greater coverage than Ancestry even.  So I make sure I pursue their work.  And, I do mean to share the information that I’ve transcribed from my register record purchase of the past year (I probably have ordered 20!) so that other researchers can benefit.  FreeReg is a site that I’ve not used enough.  I think the Parish clerk sites can be amazing (or weak) – variability is great.  That’s been my experience with links found at GENUKI as well.  But – they’re both were pursuing for when they are robust.

      Regarding magazines, I’ve been picking them up for a while too.  My favourite is Family History Monthly.  But there are several that Chapters carries and occasionally I allow myself to select a second issue of another title in a given month.

      So – apart from the above, I think what I’m going to do is subscribe on a 3-month basis to TheGenealogist.

      TinyTafel list of names/places for one family pursuit appears below.  A few families are a bit strangely represented in terms of geography below, but it does give a scope of names accurately:

      A141 1801:1869 APPLEBY\unknown/Manninttree, Essex, England

      B634 1800:1800 BARTLING\Dartmouth, Nova Scotia/Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

      B210 1815:1996 BISHOP\unknown/St. John, New Brunswick

      B260 1796:1851 BOUKER\unknown/Lancaster, Lancashire, England

      B260 1816:1851 BOWKER\Kendal, Westmorland, England/ Lancashire, England

      B346 1796:1873 BUTLER\unknown/Lancaster, Lancashire, England

      C642 1797:1839 CHARLES\Northampton, England/Northampton, England

      C252 1725:1922 COUSINS\Wales/unknown

      C630 1802:1856 COWARD\Hawkshead, Lancashire, England/ Lancashire, England

      C620 1794:1824 CRAIG\Rashorkine, Antrim, Ireland/Nova Scotia

      C613 1794:1835 CROFT\Lancashire, England/Blackrod, Lancashire, England

      E520 1815:1891 EMMS\Gloucestershire, England/Cumberland, England

      F534 1786:1786 FINDLEY\Prescot, Lancashire, England/Prescot, Lancashire, England

      F246 1759:1759 FOSELER\unknown/unknown

      G663 1876:1916 GERARD\France/Sydney, Nova Scotia

      H530 1791:1849 HAND\Staffordshire, England/Wolverhampton, Essex, England

      H300 1806:1974 HAYWOOD\Sawford, Stafford, England/Edmonton, Alberta

      H325 1810:1810 HODGSON\Lancashire, England/Lancashire, England

      H235 1786:1786 HOUGHTON\Newton, Lancashire, England/Newton, Lancashire, England

      H640 1831:1831 HURLEY\Halifax, Nova Scotia/Halifax, Nova Scotia

      J520 1861:1964 JOHNES\Norwood, Surrey, England/Sarasota, Florida

      J520 1818:1964 JONES\unknown/Sarasota, Florida

      K450 1761:2006 KLINE\Wurtzburg, Germany/Halifax, Nova Scotia

      L220 1877:1877 LE COCQ\France/France

      L231 1820:1820 LIGHTBOURNE\Staffordshire, England/Staffordshire, England

      L520 1831:1869 LONG\St. Pancras, London, England/St. Pancras, London, England

      L220 1810:1845 LUCCHESI\Tuscany, Italy/London, Middlesex, England

      M250 1775:1775 MCGOWAN\Atrim, Ireland/Atrim, Ireland

      M460 1723:1770 MILLER\Scotland/unknown

      M324 1770:1790 MITCHELL\unknown/unknown

      M625 1728:1728 MORISSONE\unknown/unknown

      N250 1796:1913 NIXON\Armah, County Down, Ireland/unknown

      O165 1825:1890 O'BRIEN\Ireland/unknown

      O500 1766:1797 OWEN\Warwickshire, England/Warwick, Warwickshire, England

      P625 1813:1813 PIERACCINA\Ireland/Ireland

      R200 1822:1822 ROCK\Digby Gut, Nova Scotia/Digby Gut, Nova Scotia

      R345 1775:1860 RUDLAND\Suffolk, England/Stratford, Suffolk, England

      S324 1796:1832 SATCHWELL\Warwickshire, England/unknown

      S300 1785:1785 SCOTT\Lancashire, England/Lancashire, England

      S512 1794:1820 SIMPSON\unknown/Lancaster, Lancashire, England

      S530 1801:1821 SMITH\unknown/Hanklow, Cheshire, England

      S314 1803:1823 STAPLETON\Ireland/Nova Scotia

      S361 1791:1843 STIRRUP\Newton, Lancashire, England/Lancashire, England

      S500 1788:1856 SWAIN\unknown/Lancashire, England

      W300 1803:1803 WHITTY\unknown/unknown

      W452 1771:1771 WILLIAMSON\Ellel, Lancashire, England/Ellel, Lancashire, England

      W536 1782:1894 WINDER\Prescot, Lancashire, England/ Lancashire, England

      Judith (Judii) Rempel

      rempel@...