RE: cemetery info online (URL shorteners)

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 21, 2011

      Hi Bill,

      Many times people type out or copy a long url into email messages and the url extends over more than one line. People trying to click on the link often won’t get to the site because of the second and third, etc. wrapped line. They have to copy the first line, go back and copy the second line, etc. before they can enter it as a url. I’m sure you have sent a few of these yourself, because it will look fine in the send message but will wrap in the received message. Most of us will know to look for that if we have a problem, but beginners won’t know what is wrong so they will not land on the correct site.

      So long urls and shortened urls all have their pros and cons.

      As for the tutorial, I think what Ronna (which I forwarded and to which I added my own notes), Jim and Joan have said in their emails should be sufficient. I understand it perfectly now and will be able to use this trick!

      Thanks so much Ronna for starting this discussion and teaching this oldie (have been on the Internet since the beginning so not a newbie!) new tricks.

      Xenia