RE: cemetery info online

  • Ronna L. Byam
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 20, 2011

      Do you not know what “shortening the URL’s” means?

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 20, 2011

        Nope! I feel like a dummy now! Tell me how and I’ll put it in Chinook so others won’t be as dumb as me!

        Xenia

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 20, 2011

          Likely the best place for an explanation on URL shorteners is at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URL_shortening

          Google is one of several sites that offers a shortening service.  Go to http://goo.gl/  where  you can obtain your own shortener.  The main advantage is when you want to offer people a hyperlink to another website but the URL (that string that starts with http://ww and so on) goes on for dozens of characters, which makes it really hard to type in accurately.

          A word of caution: if you do not know or trust the source of the URL shortener, do not click on it or type it in.  This has been one way malicious people get you directed to naughty places.  If you trust the source, then this is a handy tool.

          Jim Benedict

          __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5804 (20110120) __________

          http://www.eset.com

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 21, 2011

            Thanks Jim for the info.

            Ronna sent me the following:

            Just go to http://bit.ly/  (that’s the real URL – not shortened!) – I think you have to register but it is free

            You just copy and paste the URL you want to shorten and it automatically shortens it – then you copy and use the shortened version

            It is used a lot when people are tweeting on twitter – because you can only have 140 characters, you don’t want to use them all up with URL – also some URLs are longer than 140 characters

            Now for my note:

            I can see where it would be useful in cases where you email someone a long url and have to remind them to make sure all characters are input even when it wraps over more than one line. It also would avoid the frustrations I have when sending articles to newspapers and magazines (other than Chinook!) They have a tendency to put a hyphen at the end of a line if the url is too long. I keep trying to explain to my layout people for my books that it is a case of WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) meaning that no character other than the ones to be typed in as the url should be in the text. Otherwise, how will we know a hyphen is for the line break or to be typed in? That is why in Chinook, you will see we either make the url smaller font or  break across the line at the / or some other place where there is not a hyphen.

            Of course, with a shortened url, you do have to trust the source and if one character is wrong, you could go to a naughty site, as Jim warns, or you could be trapped in a phishing scam. Shortened urls are not the only cause of going astray, as we know. One or two letters off a normal url can take you there too. For instance, even reputable people were linking their websites to www.redrival... instead of www.redriver... The redrival site had a virus just waiting for the foolish to land there. Since people tend to incorporate links without checking them out themselves, even people you trust can take you down the wrong street. Because I had a really great virus scan system (not the most famous two!) that caught it, I sent an email to each site I found using the redrival link. Most never responded and never took down the link. Some responded by quietly taking down the link and the odd few blasted me for wasting their time because their links were all good.

            Shortened or full-length url links are not the only cause of landing on sites with viruses or phishing, or on sticky (can’t use back arrow to go to previous page) or naughty sites. Simply searching on the Internet can get you all those problems galore.

            So please check your urls (shortened or not) before passing them on to others and be sure to have up-to-date virus and spyware scanning software.

            Thank you Ronna for giving us these valuable urls and teaching me something new.

            Xenia

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 21, 2011
              Hi Jim:

              I'm open for a tutorial on URLs.

              I don't understand the problem. Why do people worry about retyping a long URL or finding shortening devices.
              I just highlight, copy and paste any URL into an addressing field and it seems to work just fine.

              What's the concern?

              Cheers

              BILL

              On 1/20/2011 10:31 PM, Jim Benedict wrote:

[...]

              No virus found in this message.

            • Joan Miller
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 21, 2011
                Hi Bill,
                It is a good question.  There are lots of applications for url shorteners.  One is for posting on Twitter where the message is a maximum of 140 characters.  A shortened url can allow you to post more text in message.

                Another application is to shorten an url for printed material.  (as we don't have the option of copying and pasting but must type in each letter or number in the url).

                A third option is to track clicks.  Many url shorteners (such as bit.ly) allow one to see how many people click through the link.  This application is used a lot by internet marketers.

                If you use the su.pr shortener it gives wider exposure to your message as it is featured in the Stumble Upon directory which is indexed in the search engines.

                Those are few examples of how people use url shorteners.

                Cheers,
                Joan Miller

                On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 12:18 PM, William Campbell <wacampbell@...> wrote:
[...]

                Luxegen Genealogy

                ----
                Recommended: online service Mozy
                to backup precious Family Photos.
                (2 GB free).

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 21, 2011

                  Hi Bill,

                  Many times people type out or copy a long url into email messages and the url extends over more than one line. People trying to click on the link often won’t get to the site because of the second and third, etc. wrapped line. They have to copy the first line, go back and copy the second line, etc. before they can enter it as a url. I’m sure you have sent a few of these yourself, because it will look fine in the send message but will wrap in the received message. Most of us will know to look for that if we have a problem, but beginners won’t know what is wrong so they will not land on the correct site.

                  So long urls and shortened urls all have their pros and cons.

                  As for the tutorial, I think what Ronna (which I forwarded and to which I added my own notes), Jim and Joan have said in their emails should be sufficient. I understand it perfectly now and will be able to use this trick!

                  Thanks so much Ronna for starting this discussion and teaching this oldie (have been on the Internet since the beginning so not a newbie!) new tricks.

                  Xenia