AFHS Members Discover the Secret to No More Brick Walls

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2011

      Hi everyone,

      This must be true because

      1.      We have no new “Surname Connections” submissions. Every member is entitled to two free entries per year and beyond that or for non-members there is a nominal charge of $5.00 per entry– so we should have 800 from which to chose!  Here is our announcement in every issue of Chinook:

      Editor’s Note: Stuck in your search for a person, couple or family? Share your dead end and maybe find a connection to those who can help. Members are allowed two free surname questions per publication year (by volume #). Additional surname questions and non-member requests are $5.00. Submit the surnames in your dead end and give additional information, such as place and date range. See Format/content at www.afhs.ab.ca/publications/HowtoWrite-Effective-Surname-Connection.pdf

      Email to surnames-chinook@...

      2.      We do not have any new questions for “Ask the Expert” and you are allowed to submit as many as you wish. These questions can be on any genealogy topic.

      Here is our announcement for that

      Remember, you, the readers, are the ones with the questions and the experts with the answers. So ask away! Email: editor-chinook@...

      Here’s the question from the January issue to which we have no reply:

      With only the marriage record in hand (dated July 15, 1825) what would be the most effective route to obtaining family information for my ancestors (both born in Northern Ireland)? They were married in  Kesh, Magheraculmoney Parish, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland? I have viewed tithe applotment records for the area but because their family names are so common (Brown and Armstrong) it seems impossible to determine which families they came from.

      Now where are your answers?

      Email: editor-chinook@...

      So please, help yourself by asking the questions (anonymously) and submitting your brick walls for Surname Connections.

      Failing that, tell us your secret to no more brick walls! We’d love to know!

      Xenia Stanford

      Editor, Chinook, 2008 Winner of the National Genealogical Society Local

      Newsletter Award

      Email: editor-chinook@...

      SIGS Contact: Ukrainian, Métis

      Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564