RE: Galician

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 10, 2011
      Hi Laura and all,

      Yes, the Ukrainian SIG is still going - strong! We don't meet often but I
      have a mailing list and could send the question to the group to see if they
      have some answers. Galician ancestors can be Ukrainian, Polish, German and
      Jewish among others. The best way to determine this is finding the ancestral
      village, religion (Ukrainians usually attended the Greek Catholic Church)
      and self-professions of ethnicity on various documents. Has she found them
      on a census? Usually there are two questions that give us clues on a census:
      place of birth and ethnicity.

      Your friend could send me an email with what she knows and what she wants to
      know.

      Xenia Stanford
      Editor, Chinook, 2008 Winner of the National Genealogical Society Local
      Newsletter Award
      Email: editor-chinook@...
      SIGS Contact: Ukrainian, Métis
      Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 11, 2011
        Thanks so much to all who have responded!!!!! I`ve forwarded your thoughts
        to my friend. Hopefully this will get him and his Dad past the bump in their
        research. I`ve also plugged the society and hope he`ll decide to come out
        and join us :)

        Thanks again,
        Laura