Re: Galician

  • Sonia Putney
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 10, 2011
      Some Polish in Galicia information

      http://blog.progenealogists.com/2011/01/some-polish-excitement/?affiliate=soft1dir&merchant=cottrill&url=http://blog.progenealogists.com/2011/01/some-polish-excitement/

      On 10/01/2011 1:46 PM, Laura A Kirbyson wrote:
      Hi all,

      My friend's father has started working on the family history and needs to
      find out more about doing research for Galician ancestors. Does our library
      collection cover that area? My friend believes his Galician ancestors lived
      in what is now Poland.

      I've suggested (of course!) that he join AFHS, but thought I'd check with
      the group to see if there's anything specific I can suggest. Is the
      Ukrainian SIG still going?

      Thanks so much!

      Laura

      LAK Research & Information Mgt

      History is the witness that testifies to the passing of time ~Cicero

      www.lakresearch.com

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 10, 2011
        Hi Laura and all,

        Yes, the Ukrainian SIG is still going - strong! We don't meet often but I
        have a mailing list and could send the question to the group to see if they
        have some answers. Galician ancestors can be Ukrainian, Polish, German and
        Jewish among others. The best way to determine this is finding the ancestral
        village, religion (Ukrainians usually attended the Greek Catholic Church)
        and self-professions of ethnicity on various documents. Has she found them
        on a census? Usually there are two questions that give us clues on a census:
        place of birth and ethnicity.

        Your friend could send me an email with what she knows and what she wants to
        know.

        Xenia Stanford
        Editor, Chinook, 2008 Winner of the National Genealogical Society Local
        Newsletter Award
        Email: editor-chinook@...
        SIGS Contact: Ukrainian, Métis
        Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 11, 2011
          Thanks so much to all who have responded!!!!! I`ve forwarded your thoughts
          to my friend. Hopefully this will get him and his Dad past the bump in their
          research. I`ve also plugged the society and hope he`ll decide to come out
          and join us :)

          Thanks again,
          Laura