Galician

  • Laura A Kirbyson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 10, 2011
      Hi all,

      My friend's father has started working on the family history and needs to
      find out more about doing research for Galician ancestors. Does our library
      collection cover that area? My friend believes his Galician ancestors lived
      in what is now Poland.

      I've suggested (of course!) that he join AFHS, but thought I'd check with
      the group to see if there's anything specific I can suggest. Is the
      Ukrainian SIG still going?

      Thanks so much!

      Laura

      LAK Research & Information Mgt

      History is the witness that testifies to the passing of time ~Cicero

      www.lakresearch.com
    • Sonia Putney

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 10, 2011
          Hi Laura and all,

          Yes, the Ukrainian SIG is still going - strong! We don't meet often but I
          have a mailing list and could send the question to the group to see if they
          have some answers. Galician ancestors can be Ukrainian, Polish, German and
          Jewish among others. The best way to determine this is finding the ancestral
          village, religion (Ukrainians usually attended the Greek Catholic Church)
          and self-professions of ethnicity on various documents. Has she found them
          on a census? Usually there are two questions that give us clues on a census:
          place of birth and ethnicity.

          Your friend could send me an email with what she knows and what she wants to
          know.

          Xenia Stanford
          Editor, Chinook, 2008 Winner of the National Genealogical Society Local
          Newsletter Award
          Email: editor-chinook@...
          SIGS Contact: Ukrainian, Métis
          Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 11, 2011
            Thanks so much to all who have responded!!!!! I`ve forwarded your thoughts
            to my friend. Hopefully this will get him and his Dad past the bump in their
            research. I`ve also plugged the society and hope he`ll decide to come out
            and join us :)

            Thanks again,
            Laura