Re: NEW AREA CODE: READ AND PASS ALONG

  • Duane Kelly
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2011
      There is an element of truth here, but mostly it is hype. For details please see http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/809.asp

      Sent: Friday, January 07, 2011 3:52 PM
      Subject: NEW AREA CODE: READ AND PASS ALONG

      I recieved this from a friend who worked for Telus for many years, thus I think it is valid.

      New Area Code - PLEASE READ.  Be sure you read this and pass it on.

      809 Area Code  -

      We actually received a call last week from the 809 area code. The

      woman said "Hey, this is Karen. Sorry I missed you.  Get back to us

      quickly. I have something important to tell you".  Then she repeated

      a phone number beginning with 809.  We did not respond. Then this

      week, we received the following e-mail:

      DO NOT DIAL AREA CODE

      809, 284, AND 876 from the U.S. or Canada.

       This one is being distributed all over the US ... This is pretty

      scary, especially given the way they try to get you to call.

      BE SURE YOU READ THIS AND PASS IT ON.

      They get you to call by telling you that it is information about a

      family member who has been ill or to tell you someone has been

      arrested, died, or to let you know you have won a wonderful prize, etc..

      In each case, you are told to call the 809 number right away. Since

      there are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly

      return these calls.

      If you call from the U.S or Canada, you will apparently be charged a

      minimum of $2425 per-minute.

      And you'll also get a long recorded message. The point is, they will

      try to keep you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges.

      WHY IT WORKS:

      The 809 area code is located in the Dominican Republic.  The charges

      afterward can become a real nightmare. That's because you did

      actually make the call. If you complain, both your local phone

      company and your long distance carrier will not want to get involved

      and will most likely tell you that they are simply providing the

      billing for the foreign company. You'll end up dealing with a foreign

      company that argues they have done nothing wrong.

      PLEASE forward this entire message to your friends, family and

      colleagues to help them become aware of this scam.

      AT&T VERIFIES IT'S TRUE

      :<http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=6045>http://www.att.com/gen/p

      ress-room?pid=6045

      SNOPES VERIFIES IT'S