Working on the boom

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 16, 2010

      Thanks to everyone for the answers. They are many and varied but all agree it is a job keeping the timber together and moving downstream to the mills. Some very interesting links were sent to me for books right on the area involved.

      Guess there were quite a few of you still around and were so helpful to me. I’ll compile answers later. Trying to get some pedigree charts done for family and friends. Tomorrow is baking.

      Again thanks to you all and a Merry Christmas to everyone.

      Xenia

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 17, 2010

        Hi everyone,

        An added note is that the person from Ontario is actually the grandfather of a dear friend of mine and I am doing a family history for her for Christmas. So I will include the websites and information everyone has provided. I have been working on her genealogy for years, but she lost her husband this year and I am making a report including the new information as a special present to cheer her up. She has always enjoyed what I have turned up about her ancestors, but this is the first occupation we encountered that was not farming. As someone said, the land in this area was not good for farming and often supplementary income was needed.

        So thank you to all who replied as your answers will help cheer her up.

        P.S. My grandfather, father and his brothers were in the logging business in B.C. and Alberta, but they never had to walk on water! Or make that walk on logs on water as that is what the answers have indicated for the Rainy River area of Ontario.

        Again thanks to all and best wishes for Christmas and 2011!

        Xenia