Working on the Boom (occupation)

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 16, 2010

      Hi folks,

      If any of you are around and reading email messages, can anyone tell me what a man whose occupation was described on his daughter’s marriage record in Rainy River, Ontario as “Working on the Boom” actually did? It seems it can be a logging term or boating term or many other definitions. What would it be in this area (his place of residence for some census records was Ottawa)?

      If I were sure it was logging, I would ask my uncle who owned a logging company, but the term may have also changed as the ways of doing things changed. So anyone know for sure?

      Xenia