Re: GREAT SCOTS!

  • Donna Kirkwood
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2010
      Thanks Bill (and Joan) for mentioning the books on Scottish influence on
      Canadian History.

      I also found "Great Scots" by Matthew Shaw provided the 'Canadian Content'
      for How the Scots Invented the Modern World" by A. Herman.

      Slainte
      Donna Kirkwood
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 2010
        Hi Donna - an event has occurred in the Shrewsbury area of The Gore,
        Argenteuil Co., which might be of interest to the Quebec SIG members. In
        the National Post this morning is a write up about the system vandalization
        and destruction of St. John's Anglican Church in Shrewsbury. It was built in
        1858 and has a fairly large cemetery around, which has also been vandalized
        at times. I haven't looked at the Montreal Gazette yet to see if there is a
        mention. If anyone wants this info I can pull it up and send it to them.
        Apparently it had first become known as a 'ghost' church as the municipal
        entity of Shrewsbury is no more. In the translation into French there was
        the insinuation that the church contained ghosts.There are also statements
        about the old church being used for 'cult' activities. Makes us realize the
        value of looking after the old cemeteries/churches and not abandoning them
        because this kind of idiot is always around.
        Freda Stewart
        > Thanks Bill (and Joan) for mentioning the books on Scottish influence on
        > Canadian History.
        >
        > I also found "Great Scots" by Matthew Shaw provided the 'Canadian Content'
        > for How the Scots Invented the Modern World" by A. Herman.
        >
        > Slainte
        > Donna Kirkwood

      • Mary Arthur
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 2010