Re: DNA testing

  • Joan Miller
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 11, 2010
      Hi Marion,
      We used Family Tree DNA for my brother's YDNA testing. I recommend ordering 67 markers. We started with 37 then upgraded to 67 in order to catch more fish so to speak.  Got a great match.

      Are you going for the new autosomal test (FTDNA's Family Finder?).  It will find cousins and not the just the direct lines.
      There is a special on right now at FTDNA. I'm about to order the mtDNA +Family Finder for myself so was checking last night.

      I suggest getting your parents tested first then deciding later whether you want to get your own testing done.

      Here is more info on the Family Finder test. (upper left of the page)

      Joan

      On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Marion Peterson <mlpeterson@...> wrote:
      My parents are coming next month for a visit, so I've decided to get them to swab their cheeks for a DNA sample while they are here. A previous discussion on Dist-gen recommended Family Tree DNA as being a reliable company. I would like to know how many markers I should pay to have tested. Any opinions?

      Also, is there any point in doing my cheek swab if both of them do it?

      Marion

      --
      Joan Miller
      Luxegen Genealogy