Re: Society of Genealogists

  • Wendy Hamilton
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2010
      Hi Rene,

      That is great news that you can access FindMyPast at the Family History
      Centres free of charge. Thanks for the clarification on PCC wills.

      I am a member of the Society of Genealogists. The society has set-up a
      "Member's Area" on their website which will hold data from their library in
      the form of transcripts, indexes and PDF's of books and hopefully someday
      also images. The Member's Area listing can be accessed at
      http://www.sog.org.uk/membersarea/whatsavailable.shtml. The Society has
      contributed some databases to the Origins Network http://www.origins.net/.
      SOG members can access the SOG databases on Origins once at quarter (72
      hours). But, as you said Rene, the main advantage of membership is free
      access to their library in London. I haven't been but hope to get there one
      day.

      Regards,
      Wendy
    • mcleanr2m@netidea.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2010
        Hi Rene;

        I can remember being in London and went to the SOG signing in for an hour.
        It was the worst hour of my research. It was expensive for an hour and I
        wore a card around my neck with the time on it stating when my money would
        be up. No cheating here. I lined up behind a lady who could not stop
        thumbing through a file drawer of cards and took ages to finally move on.
        I could feel my money floating away. never did find anything and yes, the
        SOG requires that you live in Greater London or close in.

        rosemarie mclean