Society of Genealogists

  • Rene Dussome
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2010
      An additional comment to Wendy's excellent description of information
      available about English parishes:

      I use Findmypast regularly. It is the only place at the moment where one can
      search the 1911 English census. A subscription would be nice, of course, and
      enable one to work at home but you might be interested to know that
      Findmypast is available at Family History Centres free of charge. You might
      have to ask a staff member to log in for you as a password is needed.

      Hugh Wallis's website is also very useful if you are searching for names of
      people who have been extracted from parish registers and entered on the IGI.
      You can narrow down your search to a specific surname and time period and
      group families together.

      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers
      .htm

      Wendy mentions PCC Wills. It is useful to know that in the main, these
      relate to the Province of Canterbury (southern England) and not the Province
      of York (northern England).

      She also mentions Online Parish Clerks. You might like to know that we have
      a real, live Online Parish Clerk as a member of AFHS. Wayne Shepheard gave a
      talk about his work to the English/Welsh SIG last month.

      I have never belonged to the SOG because to get the most advantage from
      membership you need to be able to visit their headquarters in London. I do
      believe some AFHS members subscribed to the society but I can't recall who
      they are (were).

      Rene Dussome
    • Wendy Hamilton
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2010
        Hi Rene,

        That is great news that you can access FindMyPast at the Family History
        Centres free of charge. Thanks for the clarification on PCC wills.

        I am a member of the Society of Genealogists. The society has set-up a
        "Member's Area" on their website which will hold data from their library in
        the form of transcripts, indexes and PDF's of books and hopefully someday
        also images. The Member's Area listing can be accessed at
        http://www.sog.org.uk/membersarea/whatsavailable.shtml. The Society has
        contributed some databases to the Origins Network http://www.origins.net/.
        SOG members can access the SOG databases on Origins once at quarter (72
        hours). But, as you said Rene, the main advantage of membership is free
        access to their library in London. I haven't been but hope to get there one
        day.

        Regards,
        Wendy
      • mcleanr2m@netidea.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 5, 2010
          Hi Rene;

          I can remember being in London and went to the SOG signing in for an hour.
          It was the worst hour of my research. It was expensive for an hour and I
          wore a card around my neck with the time on it stating when my money would
          be up. No cheating here. I lined up behind a lady who could not stop
          thumbing through a file drawer of cards and took ages to finally move on.
          I could feel my money floating away. never did find anything and yes, the
          SOG requires that you live in Greater London or close in.

          rosemarie mclean