Re: correction re archaic terms

  • Helen Backhouse
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2010
       Liberty:
      Area with freedom, generally by Royal Grant, from Royal Officials and jurisdictions. Marriages could be performed in some Liberties and, being exempt from normal ecclesiastical jurisdiction, they became, until 1734, local Gretna Greens (e.g. Peak Forest, Derbyshire).

      Taken from The Family Historian's Enquire Within
      page 136, 5th edition
      Author - Pauline Saul
      Publisher Federation of Family History Society

      Hope this helps,
      Helen