correction re archaic terms

  • Ronna L. Byam
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2010

      In my earlier e-mail I asked for the definition of “victory” – I should have said “Liberty” [memo to Ronna: always check your notes before you start typing…]

      Thanks,

      Ronna

    • Helen Backhouse
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2010
         Liberty:
        Area with freedom, generally by Royal Grant, from Royal Officials and jurisdictions. Marriages could be performed in some Liberties and, being exempt from normal ecclesiastical jurisdiction, they became, until 1734, local Gretna Greens (e.g. Peak Forest, Derbyshire).

        Taken from The Family Historian's Enquire Within
        page 136, 5th edition
        Author - Pauline Saul
        Publisher Federation of Family History Society

        Hope this helps,
        Helen