RE: Family Roots Seminar

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 18, 2010

      Hi Don. I think your question is a good one that others might have as well, so I’m going to echo this response back to the dist-gen.

      I’ve got to the “expense” of purchasing Adobe Acrobat – the development software.  It’s $300-400 I think.  I open the software and make the following choices:

      ·         CREATE

      ·         PDF FROM SCANNER

      ·         CUSTOM SCAN

      ·         it then echoes my settings from the past:

      o   my WIA Samsung

      o   that I only want front sides scanned

      o   I want high quality

      ·         MAKE SEARCHABLE (checkmark)

      ·         SCAN

      ·         Then it prompts me for:

      o   Auto Document Feeder or Flatbed (I use ADF where possible)

      o   character of the original ( I use “custom” which I previously have set to 300 dpi and B/W picture or text because I find it does the best job for me) and

      o   page size (generally 8.5 x 11)

      ·         SCAN

      Your choices will differ in some regard, depending on what scanner you are using and whether you have the formal Adobe software.  I scan one side of a batch (20-30) pages, then scan the second side, and then “move” the images into the right sequence in the “pages” pane of Adobe.  This is a bit fussy, but I find I run into fewer difficulties than if I try to scan both sides (I get manual  misfeeds – especially when the pages are a bit dog-eared or the binding-slicing effort isn’t pristine).

      Important - This is not the same as scanning to MS Word or another text editor (which is another Optical Character Recognition approach).  I don’t do that because it wouldn’t get all the pages right (when gothic script is used, I have handwritten notes on the pages, or splotched pages).

      Last week I scanned a cookbook that’s been around since the 1950s (Mennonite Treasury) that I use weekly.  It’s terribly dog-eared and has no index.  By scanning to searchable PDF, I can find the RIGHT beet pickle recipe.  And, since some of my fellow volunteers (at the Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta) also use this cookbook weekly (and they have paper copies), I felt completely comfortable in sharing the pdfs with them.  Even though they’re in their mid 70s and 80s, they are active cooks and know the value of pdfs / searchability – and so were completely in agreement that they are happy to use the pdf and NOT violate the copyright by passing their paper copies along to family members.  So, my automatic document feeder/box cutter/adobe software got a really reasonable workout!

      The “free” and “shareware” pdf-making softwares out there may also be able to make them searchable.  But if not, this may be one of the reasons to buy the real thing.  I make many pdfs annually for my home business, and so it’s a business expense and helpful to my tax situation as well. Smile.  Perhaps that would work for you too.

      Hope this helps.

      Judith (Judii) Rempel

      rempel@...

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 19, 2010
        Hi all:

        I use Foxit and really like it.

        Regards,

        Gord Hulbert
        Email: Gordon@...
        Home: (403) 240-4636
        Cell:    (403) 669-8384

        "You are stuck with your debt if you can't budge it.

        On 10/19/2010 6:27 PM, Charlie Hansen wrote:
        On 18 Oct 2010 Judith Rempel wrote, in part:

        > The "free" and "shareware" pdf-making softwares out there may also
        > be able to make them searchable.  But if not, this may be one of
        > the reasons to buy the real thing.  I make many pdfs annually for my
        > home business, and so it's a business expense and helpful to my tax
        > situation as well. Smile. Perhaps that would work for you too.

        There are two programs that have been mentioned at Computer SIG meetings that have a search for text feature, as well as other useful features. Among the list of freeware from our Feb 13, 2010 meeting was Foxit. It is available at:

        I have recently been using a program called PDF-XChange Viewer, also known as pdfxviewer.  I prefer it to Foxit as it allows you to add comments, etc. to your pdf file and then save the modified file without a "watermark".  It is available at:

        This enable you to search and comment pdf files produced by your scanner.

        I hope this helps with scanning and seaching your paper documents.

        Regards,
        Charlie

        No virus found in this message.

      • Charlie Hansen