Home Movie Day 1020

  • Rosemary Kry
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2010
      From: Sheena Manabat [mailto:sheeman@...]
      Sent: October 6, 2010 8:27 PM
      To: queries@...; webster@...
      Subject: Home Movie Day 2010

      To Whom It May Concern:

      Hello, my name is Sheena Manabat an English and Film Studies Major  at the University of Calgary and the organizer of Home Movie Day 2010. Home Movie Day is an international event held in cities around the world to celebrate amateur filmmaking and Home Movie preservation. For the event we invite the public to come in so we can inspect their 8mm, Super 8 or 16mm films and then show them for an audience. This year the event will be held at the Memorial Park Library on Saturday October 16th from noon to 4. From 12 - 2 we will inspect the films and ensure they can be put through a projector and from 2 - 4 we will screen them. I thought that AFHS would be interested because the Home Movies advocate preservation of not just film, but the histories behind them. Academy Award winner Martin Scorcese was quoted as saying this:

       "Saving our film heritage should not be limited only to commercially produced films. Home movies do not just capture the important private moments of our family's lives, but they are historical and cultural  documents as well. Consider Abraham Zapruder's 8mm film that recorded the  assassination of President Kennedy or Nickolas Muray's famously vibrant
      color footage of Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera shot with his 16mm camera. Imagine how different our view of history would be without these precious films. Home Movie Day is a celebration of these films and the people who shot them. I urge anyone with an interest in learning more about how to care for and preserve their own personal memories to join in the  festivities being offered in their community...""

      I just wanted to let AFHS and their members know about the event so they could attend if they were interested.

      Attached is the Home Movie Day 2010 Poster for you to see and share if you'd like. Please let me know if you have any questions or inquiries or visit www.homemovieday.com