Ukrainian SIG meeting with guest speaker

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 22, 2010

      Hi everyone,

      Through email and telephone, I have been talking to a lady who was born, grew up, married and had children in the same village in Ukraine that my grandparents came from. After she was widowed, she came to Canada to see if it was easier to support her children here. She lives in Winnipeg but has agreed to come and speak to us. She has an amazing wealth of knowledge about Ukraine history, as well as what it was like in her time there. She knows the truth about Siberia and what happened to people sent there. She also knows what happened to the records in towns such as our ancestral village. She has written a book in Ukrainian with stories and information about the village and is working on her second one. Although you or your family may not have come from the exact village, there is so much to learn from her. She also has photographs to show to us.

      If you can send me the questions for which you would like to know the answers about Ukraine, please send them to me. Also please let me know if you plan to attend. The place is TBA until we know how many are interested. There is no charge, but we will pass the hat around for contributions to the speaker’s travel expenses.

      At our meetings we love to eat, so if you can, bring some goodies, we will welcome them! We haven’t decided on a time yet – morning or afternoon – so give us your choice.

      Apologies to those who receive this twice because you are on both the Ukrainian SIG email list and Dist-gen. This is open to everyone even if you do not have Ukrainian ancestry.

      Xenia Stanford

      Editor, Chinook, 2008 Winner of the National Genealogical Society Local

      Newsletter Award

      Email: editor-chinook@...

      SIGS Contact: Ukrainian, M├ętis

      Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564