Gazetteer and Directory codes "h" and "f"

  • Marion Peterson
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 20 10:21 AM
      Could anyone tell me what the codes h and f mean in a directory? I'm looking at the Halton County Directory and Gazetteer for 1869-1870. It gives Concession, Lot and the Lot number is followed by either h or f. The f might mean freeholder, but I can't think of what the h would mean.

      Thanks,
      Marion

    • HEATHER WILLIAMS
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 20 10:46 AM
        Hi Marion:
          In my experience,  f  referred to 'freeholder'  meaning that person owned the land ;  the other term often used was l  for lease or renter  so perhaps in your case the h refers to householder and they do not own the land but are renters, leasers  etc.

        see you tomorrow night

        Heather

        > Could anyone tell me what the codes h and f mean in a directory?
        > I'm looking at the Halton County Directory and Gazetteer for
        > 1869-1870. It gives Concession, Lot and the Lot number is
        > followed by either h or f. The f might mean freeholder, but I
        > can't think of what the h would mean.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Marion

      • Helen Backhouse
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 20 3:15 PM
          Hi Marion,
          I agree with Heather on the meanings of the letters f and h.
          Helen
            In my experience,  f  referred to 'freeholder'  meaning that person owned the land ;  the other term often used was l  for lease or renter  so perhaps in your case the h refers to householder and they do not own the land but are renters, leasers  etc.

          see you tomorrow night

          Heather

          > Could anyone tell me what the codes h and f mean in a directory?
          > I'm looking at the Halton County Directory and Gazetteer for
          > 1869-1870. It gives Concession, Lot and the Lot number is
          > followed by either h or f. The f might mean freeholder, but I
          > can't think of what the h would mean.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Marion

        • Lorna Laughton
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 20 3:50 PM

            Could this mean “half” or “full” if it is referring to the lot? This would define the amount of the location that the person owned>

            Lorna