How has the census helped you?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 12, 2010
      Hi everyone,

      See previous email I sent and please write something on the census. How has
      it helped you? Give the story to show you how it helped find your family or
      the history of the census or something on the census. We need more articles
      for the October issue, deadline August 1st.

      OK this is a first for me - having to plead for stories! Most issues are
      crammed but neither customs/culture or census has brought us enough feature
      articles.

      Also columnists - don't forget our deadline for your column - August 1,
      2010!

      Xenia Stanford
      Editor, Chinook, 2008 Winner of the National Genealogical Society Local
      Newsletter Award
      Email; editor-chinook@...
      SIGS Contact: Ukrainian, Métis
      Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564
      Alberta Family Histories Society
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18, 2010
        Send us your story and include a photo if possible. The photo can be of the
        person/family you found on the census or the image of the census record
        itself.

        Tell us what you found that you would not have known if it were not for the
        census record. Since UK is also considering scrapping the census, the census
        does not have to be a Canadian one. Also since the U.S. has released up to
        and including 1930, an example from that would be a good contrast.

        I know that the 1930 census in the U.S. helped me find my greataunt and her
        stepdaughter. My greataunt came from Austria with my grandparents and my
        father to Canada. She was on the 1911 Census of Canada, but left for the
        U.S. sometime between 1911 and 1920. She married an American many years her
        senior, but was left a widow by the time I made an appearance on this earth.
        She made many trips to Alberta to visit us. When she passed away, we
        received a letter from the stepdaughter telling us the details of my
        greataunt's death and asking if there was anything we wanted of hers. We
        sent a letter back thanking her for letting us know and telling her the only
        thing we would like were some photos. We never heard from her again, the
        letter from her was lost and no one remembered her first name. We only
        remembered her married surname was Childs. Through the U.S. census records,
        I was able to find my greataunt on the 1920 and 1930 U.S. Census. It gave
        her husband's birth information and through that I was able to trace him on
        the census records since his birth, including his first marriage. Through
        that I found the names of all his children and the ones who followed him
        from Pennsylvania to Kansas to California. I then knew the name of his
        daughter who married a Childs. Through the California death records, I found
        Mrs. Childs died shortly after my greataunt, which is why we never heard
        from her again.

        It helped me piece together the lives of my greataunt, her husband and her
        stepchildren. It explained why my grandmother had an embroidered cloth with
        the words Wichita, Kansas on it. That is where my greataunt lived according
        to the 1920 U.S. Census. By 1930 she, her husband and some of his children
        with spouses and family were in Los Angeles, California. It was an
        interesting journey following their journey. Since my grandparents crossed
        back and forth to Alberta and B.C., I would love to have the 1921 and 1931
        Canada Census to know where they lived during those two periods. All the
        family are now dead, so I don't see what harm it would be for me to know
        where they were in those two decades.

        What's your census story?