census

  • Lois Sparling
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1 10:37 AM
      An article on the latest efforts of Statistics Canada to block the use
      of the census as a historical resort was published in theVancouver Sun
      June 29. The story is coming out via Eastman's Online Genealogy
      Newsletter and Global Genealogy eNews. The family history community was
      very effective in getting the release of past census returns, but it was
      a long fight involving hundreds of us.

      I have to say that some of us thought that the more intrusive long form
      census returns were the reason for the concern over release of census
      returns after 92 years and suggested that perhaps StatsCan shouldn't be
      asking such intrusive questions. However, it seems odd that
      agricultural questionnaires are to be kept hidden. How personal are
      questions about #s of livestock and fertilizer used? We need to know more.
      Are the regular short form census returns going to be released after 92
      years or not? Has Stats Canada gotten rid of that consent check box
      that would block access to the short form census returns if someone
      failed to check the box, giving consent?

      Lois Sparling
    • Kalbach
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1 4:50 PM
        We need the data from the long form. Ethnic origin data are
        particularly important for academic research and genealogical research.
        Madeline. Kalbach, Ph.D.
        U of C

        Sent from my iPod

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1 6:26 PM
          Our next issue of Chinook focuses on Culture and Customs. Census data helps
          us see the cultural web of a country through such things as ethnicity. We
          can't find out about when and where and why people settled and what that
          means to us as family historians/genealogists and researchers, among others.
          We have space for more articles in the upcoming issue. I hope one or more of
          you articulate, impassioned people on this topic could write an article on
          the importance of the census for this and other reasons. If I receive enough
          articles on this topic, I would even change the focus of the issue to the
          importance of the census. Then we could send copies of the issue to the
          relevant ministers and the Prime Minister. The deadline is August 1st. We
          have an opportunity. Let's use it.

          Did you know that census-taking has existed since BC? That is why Joseph and
          Mary had to return to Bethlehem when she was 9 months pregnant - the Roman
          Emperor Augustus decreed everyone must return to their town of origin to be
          recorded there. Also 580 AD was the first recorded destruction of the census
          by the government in power. Queen Fredegund and King Chilperic in
          continental Europe lost two children. They were told this was because of the
          census, so they destroyed the records already in existence and decided not
          to continue to take censuses thereafter. Likewise, our government must have
          some dark age superstition driving them.

          Xenia Stanford
          Editor, Chinook, 2008 Winner of the National Genealogical Society Local
          Newsletter Award
          Email; editor-chinook@...
          Phone: 295-3490; Fax: 274-0564
          Alberta Family Histories Society