Re: Descendant Tree

  • Suddie Mumford
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 21, 2010
      The only utility I can think of that allows you the flexibility to modify a standard chart wuld be SuperTools from whollygenes.com   Cost is $17.95 for the download.   I used their charting system to make my cascading descendancy charts for my family book.

      Cheers

      Suddie Bill

      On 06/21/2010 08:13 PM, Judith Rempel wrote:

      I’m wondering if anyone knows of a utility to generate a simplified descendancy chart.  What I’m looking for will cleanly identify an individual’s descendants directly down to a specific person 4 or 5 generations below.  Most charts exhaustively show all children and their descendants in each generation.  I’d like it to focus on my selected person of interest in each generation and only show the siblings in barest terms (b d dates/places and the surname they married perhaps).

      I can supply a scan sample, but I doubt that the list permits attachments.  I’d be happy to do that for any individual who has a suggestion for me and wants to “see” what I’m talking about.

      Many thanks!

      Judith (Judii) Rempel

      rempel@...

      Family History: www.rempelfamily.ca

      Website Development: www.jrsolutions.net

    • Judith Rempel
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 22, 2010

        Thanks, Suddy – I’ll give it a shot.  That’s a small price if the tool creates a flexible report that can be edited.

        Best (and aren’t we glad that it’s finally sunny!),

        Judii

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 22, 2010
          It is possible to create a custom descendancy chart with Legacy, although it's a
          cumbersome workaround.

          1) Use the tagging facility to tag the individuals you wish to include.

          2) Export the tagged individuals (with or without spouses) to a new Legacy (or
          Gedcom) file.

          3) Go to the new file and view and/or print your edited descendancy chart.

          It may be also possible to use the Gramps program to create a custom chart to
          do what you want, although I have not tried it.

          Regards,
          Charlie

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 17, 2010
            Thanks for this, Charlie. I'm still playing around with the ideas. Once I
            get something to work to my satisfaction, I'll post something about my
            experience and point to an online portrayal of the result.

            Both you and Suddie had good suggestions