Laser copies of family history books

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2002
      Read the article and save as *.MHT by joining up the link. Internet pages
      can be saved as MHT as a single file instead of sets of files for regular
      HTML. The option is in Windows XP, probably in WindowsME.

      I have a hard-bound family book that was made by sending the ink jet "master
      copy" of 380 pages to a laser photo copy service in Calgary. Then the copy
      pages were bound by a different service that is used by staff and students
      from the University or Calgary. A color photo with the book title was bonded
      to the cover of each book.

      The cost was high due to the number of color pages and varied by the number
      of copies requested at one time (1-11 copies.) Anyone planning a family book
      needs to check the cost of copies. Basic photo copies on regular paper are
      around 5 cents a side, say $10 for a book of 200 pages. Copy services may
      charge up to $1 per page based on their earlier Internet advertising, with
      no discount if most of the pages are plain black text.

      Laser copies are more permanent. Ink jet copies are affected by water --
      test a printout that is ready to be discarded or a color picture that didn't
      turn out well by wetting a corner.

      Pricing for copies seems to require starting an online order. It might be
      easier to visit the nearest convenient copy service with a list of
      requirements and ask a human staff person about the price of large family
      tree charts printed as PDF, family books saved as a single PDF file or
      photocopies of ink jet family books with a number of color pages.
      Elizabeth