RE: Lane's Studio

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2010

      Thanks for the comments, Frieda and others.

      Callie, I had checked before I posted and Lane’s Studio doesn’t seem to exist anymore;  while a website shows a ph number of them, a check of the online Telus directory does NOT show them, and the reverse directory indicates the phone number is not in use.  I do think it’s very cool that Gord can remember having photographs taken at the Studio and that he remembers the Lane family members as neighbours.

      I was leaning to “earlier” than 1940s too (esp because of that dropped waist on her dress) ... but since I was born in the 1950s, I’m less personally-aware of the fashion shifts.  And, because of my own background, I know that some groups will deliberately NOT dress in the current fashions.  The hat and veil struck me as having a culturally-specific aspect – perhaps eastern European, Spanish or Italian?  I’ll work on the assumption of late 1920s/early 1930s now.  Thanks, Lesley and Frieda.

      Joan, it is now possible that the folks who owned this house previously can be named - Grant just came up with the surname “Hawthorn”.

      If I get a good “hit” of an idea or find a home for it ... I’ll let you folks know.

      PS I just did a search at the Glenbow photo collection online and found a lot of hits for Lane’s Studio – and they seem to have had several locations:  Calgary, High River, Medicine Hat...  There are 3 wedding photos by them in the collection, dated 1930 (2) and 1937 (1).

      ·         1930

      o   George Hamilton and Teena Epp, Metis, Calgary
      http://ww2.glenbow.org/dbimages/arc10/w/na-4354-15.jpg

      o   M/M John William Mundell, Okotoks
      http://ww2.glenbow.org/dbimages/arc12/g/na-4580-1.jpg

      ·         1937

      o   Helen/Tony Kalbhen, Rockyford, AB
      http://ww2.glenbow.org/dbimages/arc8/v/na-3617-6.jpg

      They often have to estimate the age of photos. I’ve also been scrolling through the wedding “hits” generally, and very few are of women with knee-length white dresses.  But see some similar ones:

      ·         http://ww2.glenbow.org/dbimages/arc4/r/na-2186-51.jpg
      note the bowtie, but she’s wearing long gloves.  She is wearing a fussy “hat” though.   MM Thomas Riddock, Fort Churchill, MB, ca 1912

      ·         http://ww2.glenbow.org/dbimages/arc8/w/na-3644-7.jpg
      seated/fussy “hat” (can I callit that?) – but the seated man has a similar haircut... It’s dated ca. 1912 (Frances/Clarence Eschwig of Fernie)

      ·         http://ww2.glenbow.org/dbimages/arc6/o/na-3175-2.jpg
      MM Switzer - 1928 – bouquet has similar features.  I think the shoes are founded, but he’s wearing a completely different bowtie

      ·         http://ww2.glenbow.org/dbimages/arcnd/2/y/nd-3-4928a.jpg
      Hadon, Edmonton, 1929

      There is also an archival description for the Lane’s Studio Fonds at the Glenbow:

      Title: Lane's Studio fonds

      Date(s): 1930-1942

      Physical Description: 183 photographs

      History: Ray Christie Lane, 1889-1943, was born in Campbellford, Ontario and came to Calgary with his parents in 1903. He studied photography with E.B. Curlette of Calgary and moved to High River, Alberta in 1911 to establish his own photography studio. During First World War he served in the armed forces as an instructor in photography. He went back to operating his studio which by 1920 was called Lane's Studio. Besides his studio work Ray also held photo contracts with oil companies and southern Alberta air schools. He married Lottie Bartlett from Campbellford in 1920 and they had two children, Peggy and Dick. After his death the studio was acquired by Gil Garon.

      Scope and Content: The fonds consists of photographs of Turner Valley oil fields (1930s), High River businesses (1930s-1942) and the flood of 1942, and ranching and farming in the High River area (1930s). Includes photographs of Stoneys.

      Source of Acquisition: Gift and purchased from Lane's Studio, 1958.

      Language: The material is in English.

      Originals and Reproductions: Reference prints from the original negatives are also available.

      Restrictions: No restrictions on access.

      Finding Aids: No finding aid.

      Related: Further Lane's Studio records are held by the Museum of the Highwood, and T. Dawson Photo/Graphics in High River.

      Call Numbers: (M=manuscript; N&P=photos; R=sound recordings; S=slides; F=films)
      NA 67, NB 20, ND 11

      Oh – and lastly .... I’ve been placing “photos for identification” onto our own Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta website for a few years.  If you’d like to see them, go to: http://www.mennonitehistory.org/projects/photos/

      Judith (Judii) Rempel

      rempel@...

      Message 2 of 6 , May 30, 2010

        Lanes Studio has been in Calgary since the late 1800s. The style of dropped waist plus her hat style and decoration put it as 1920s. Just reading the book “Forensic Genealogy” by Dr. Colleen Fitzpatrick. She says to be wary of clothing styles because people later can assume a vintage look or it could be just a costume for a play or some other not real wedding. You know the photographers who do vintage photos – they have the clothes.

        Anyway, if real and if it was the style when taken, it is definitely 20s. Not that I lived then but I have been studying wedding styles from different periods and different countries.

        Xenia

        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2010

          The decade has also been now confirmed by my very reliable “right hand”, Irene Klassen, at the Mennonite Historical Society.  She says that short skirt and type of hat firmly put it into the 20s.  And, interestingly, her own wedding photo (she and John are celebrating their 60th anniversary this summer) was taken by Lane’s Studios and was on display for several weeks.  She also said:

          “Up until about 10 years ago Lane took the group photos for the CGH* Alumnae at the reunions, he was quite an entertainer to set us all up to look nice. But he is no longer  there.”

          * Calgary General Hospital – Irene was a nurse

          Judith (Judii) Rempel

          rempel@...

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 24, 2010

            Thanks, G.  It just means that we’re free to keep the lovely little guillotine and a photo from times ago.

            Judith (Judii) Rempel

            rempel@...

            The last owner of Lane's Studio is an acquaintance of mine whom I spoke with a few weeks ago.  He operated the company for almost 20 years, but is retiring to become a snowbird and travel in warmer climes.  As of May, 2010, Lane's Studio no longer exists - the company was wound up and the phone number is no longer in service.  Unfortunately, none of their photos was ever dated - everything was apparently filed by name - and he no longer has any files pertaining to their clients.

            Gordon.