Re: .max file extension

  • Phil Duby
    Message 1 of 6 , May 26, 2010
      Carol,

      Need a little more detail about what program created the file. At

      http://www.file-extensions.org/max-file-extension

      I found 8 different possible .max file, each of which could need a
      different program. Since you are on a genealogy list here, I expect
      it is one of the [scanned] image formats, or the word processing
      document. Assuming it is a image, then from

      http://www.sharpened.net/helpcenter/file_extension.php?max

      MaxView for unix has a good chance of opening it. If you run ubuntu.

      I also found http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Image-Convertors/MAX-Image-Converter.shtml
      which says it should be able convert .max files to other formats. The
      notes say it does NOT run on Windows XP, so you you have Vista, it
      should be good.

      Assuming that is an image file, you can try searching for "image file
      conversion .max" for more options. That is where if found one I
      linked to above.

      --
      Phil

      On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Carol Lylyk <clylyk@...> wrote:
      > I have just received a file from a relative in England that has an extension
      > .max and am unable to open it.  I was wondering if anyone out there has any
      > suggestions.
      >
      > I Googled .max file extension and came up with quite a few sites but all
      > seem to be either something you have to purchase/register for or want to
      > scan my computer for missing .dll files.
      >
      > Carol Lylyk

    • Carol Lylyk
      Message 2 of 6 , May 26, 2010
        Thank you Phil. I have no idea how she created the file. I looked at the sites you suggested but they all seem past my
        computer abilities (or lack thereof). I have sent a message to my cousin who sent the image file and she has replied that she
        will send it in a different format. I think that would be the simpliest way to go. I run XP which isn't compatible with at least
        one of those programs.

        Carol

        Need a little more detail about what program created the file. At

        http://www.file-extensions.org/max-file-extension

        I found 8 different possible .max file, each of which could need a
        different program. Since you are on a genealogy list here, I expect
        it is one of the [scanned] image formats, or the word processing
        document. Assuming it is a image, then from

        http://www.sharpened.net/helpcenter/file_extension.php?max

        MaxView for unix has a good chance of opening it. If you run ubuntu.

        I also found http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Image-Convertors/MAX-Image-Converter.shtml
        which says it should be able convert .max files to other formats. The
        notes say it does NOT run on Windows XP, so you you have Vista, it
        should be good.

        Assuming that is an image file, you can try searching for "image file
        conversion .max" for more options. That is where if found one I
        linked to above.

        --
        Phil

        On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Carol Lylyk <clylyk@...> wrote:
        > I have just received a file from a relative in England that has an extension
        > .max and am unable to open it. I was wondering if anyone out there has any
        > suggestions.
        >
        > I Googled .max file extension and came up with quite a few sites but all
        > seem to be either something you have to purchase/register for or want to
        > scan my computer for missing .dll files.
        >
        > Carol Lylyk

      • Phil Duby
        Message 3 of 6 , May 26, 2010
          Assuming that is an image file, then it was most likely created using
          either PaperPort or OmniPage, both from [company] Nuance. Probably
          the software that came with the scanner your cousin is using.

          --
          Phil

          On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Carol Lylyk <clylyk@...> wrote:
          > Thank you Phil.   I have no idea how she created the file.   I looked at the
          > sites you suggested but they all seem past my computer abilities (or lack
          > thereof).  I have sent a message to my cousin who sent the image file and
          > she has replied that she will send it in a different format.  I think that
          > would be the simpliest way to go.  I run XP which isn't compatible with at
          > least one of those programs.
          >
          > Carol
          [.. snip .. snip ..]
        • Carol Lylyk
          Message 4 of 6 , May 26, 2010
            Hi Phil, someone else suggested those 2 programs as well. Hopefully she can save it as something else that I can open as I don't
            want to add any other program onto my computer - it is slow enough as it is.

            Thanks for your help though,

            Carol
            Assuming that is an image file, then it was most likely created using
            either PaperPort or OmniPage, both from [company] Nuance. Probably
            the software that came with the scanner your cousin is using.

            --
            Phil

            On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Carol Lylyk <clylyk@...> wrote:
            > Thank you Phil. I have no idea how she created the file. I looked at the
            > sites you suggested but they all seem past my computer abilities (or lack
            > thereof). I have sent a message to my cousin who sent the image file and
            > she has replied that she will send it in a different format. I think that
            > would be the simpliest way to go. I run XP which isn't compatible with at
            > least one of those programs.
            >
            > Carol
            [.. snip .. snip ..]
          • EVA KINNEAR
            Message 5 of 6 , May 26, 2010
              Some how I have gotten onto your email list.  This has just started to come.  Please remove my name & email address from your list.
              Thanks