Re: Our own Who Do YOu Think You Are challenge

  • Peter at familyrecordfinder
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6, 2010
      Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 6:08 PM
      Subject: Our own Who Do YOu Think You Are challenge

      The article was titled, "Mayor's great-niece tries to connect
      with Calgary's history". The letter came from Margaret Nagle
      of Missoula, Montana.

      The letter reads: From 1915 to 1919, Michael Copps Costello
      was the mayor of Calgary, after holding earlier positions in
      city government. He was a founding member of the Southern
      Alberta Pioneer & Old Timers' Association and served as Grand
      Knight on the Calgary Council of the Knights of Columbus. He
      died in 1936, leaving three sons, Frank, Jack and Thomas. He
      was married to my great-aunt, Pearl Corrigan. I have run up
      against a brick wall trying to find any living relatives of
      Michael and Pearl Costello. I would be most grateful if
      someone related to them would respond to my letter.

      Hi Jim,
      found a obituary/biography write up in the Lethbridge Herald.
      It mentions some additional relatives.
      The OCR copy is a little messy but you probably can make out
      the information. Please let me know if you want the original
      PDF file image.
      Sincerely
      Peter at familyrecordfinder.com

      Dr.M.C.Costelio, Former Mayor Of Calgary, Is Dead First
      Linotype Operator on Calgary Herald—Wartime Mayor CALGARY.
      March 23.— <tfi>— Dr. M, C. Costello, mayor ol Calgary during
      the v.'iir years, died at his homo hero. Sunday, following: a
      short illness, Ho WPS 60 years oln. He \v«f; mayor of Calgary
      from 1915 to 19i8. Eorn in Montreal, Dr. Costi-llo ctinic west
      v:ith his father. J. W. Cuotcim iii IBoo. He ttiia the fii'ht
      linotype ojicnucn' at The Canary }Ierald. He left there to
      attend Queen's University. Kingston. \vher,i
      he. era duateri in medicine in 1908. Although lie went to the
      Old Country to lake a past-pradir.itc course in" medicine. Dr.
      Costello never practised hfa profession. He wa.s olec'iod an
      alderman in 1914. Next year he was elected mayor and was the
      first man to contest tho mayoralty successfully two years in
      succession.
      An organizer of the Southern Alberta Old Timers' Association,
      he was el-cied president in 1931. He also was n member of the
      Knights of Columbus.
      When in Kingston he married Miss Pearl Corrigan of that city.
      Surviving are his widow; two sons. Frank ond Jack of Calgary:
      two sisters. Mrs. S. F. McDonald and Mrs. T. A. McManus. both
      of Calgary: and two brothers, Dr. Thomas J. Costello.
      St.Kitts, British West Indies, and William of Calgary.
    • Nicole McCreary
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2010
        Has she or anyone else checked the Glenbow fonds yet?

        Perhaps the leads are those who donated the items to the Glenbow (Mrs. E.W. Costello and Mrs. J.M. Blanchfield, 1969-1972.)

        ________________

        Title:
        Michael C. Costello fonds

        Date(s):
        1900-1917, predominant 1913-1917

        Physical Description:
        3 cm of textual records. -- 1 photograph

        History:

        Michael C. Costello, 1875-1936, was born in Montreal, Quebec, and came to Calgary with his father, John W. Costello, in 1883. He worked as an apprentice printer at the Calgary Herald. In 1904 he left to study at Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario and graduated in medicine in 1908. He then took a year of post-graduate work in London, England. He never practiced his profession. While in Kingston he married Pearl Corrigan. They had two sons, Frank and Jack. He became a Calgary alderman in 1914 and served as mayor, 1915-1918. He subsequently worked as an executive with Calgary Iron Works before retiring due to poor health. He was a founding member of the Southern Alberta Pioneers' and Old Timers' Association. For further information see Sam McDonald's article, "J.W. Costello : Patriarch of the Calgary Clan" in Calgary, A Living Heritage / Susie Sparks, ed. -- Calgary : Junior League of Calgary, 1984, p. 22-24.

        Scope and Content:
        The fonds consists of scrapbook regarding mayoralty campaign and activities as mayor (1913-1917) and photograph of J.W. Costello family (ca. 1900).

        Source of Acquisition:
        Gifts of Mrs. E.W. Costello and Mrs. J.M. Blanchfield, 1969-1972.

        Language:
        The material is in English.

        Restrictions:
        No restrictions on access.

        Finding Aids:
        No finding aid.

        Call Numbers:
        (M=manuscript; N&P=photos; R=sound recordings; S=slides; F=films)
        M 273, M 274, NA 2450

        _______
        I suspect that this is the photograph:

        http://ww2.glenbow.org/search/archivesPhotosResults.aspx?XC=/search/archivesPhotosResults.aspx&TN=IMAGEBAN&AC=QBE_QUERY&RF=WebResults&DL=0&RL=0&NP=255&MF=WPEngMsg.ini&MR=10&QB0=AND&QF0=File+number&QI0=NA-2450-1&DF=WebResultsDetails

        Nicole