SLC Research Trips

  • Callie Reid
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24, 2010
      Hi all,

      I've been wanting to go on a SLC Research Trip but I don't know how to choose a company to sign up with.  What companies have you signed up with and would you recommend them to others?

      Thanks,
      Callie Reid

    • Suddie Mumford
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 24, 2010
        I've never gone with anyone.  The main problem is getting a hotel near the library.  You usually have to book well in advance.  There are several very close, within several hundred yards.  Just be aware when looking at a map of downtown Salt Lake that a city block there is at least twice as long as what we are used to.   If your hotel  is six blocks away you are almost beyond practical walking distance.   There is a public transit service called Trax however and many of the downtown hotels are inside the no fare zone.  I prefer traveling on my own simply because it leaves me free to do what I want when I want.  You get deep into research and time flies.  You don't want to leave just because someone else wants to eat.   :-)

        Cheers

        Suddie Bill

        --
        Cheers

        Suddie Bill

      • Peter
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 24, 2010
          > On 04/24/2010 03:23 PM, Callie Reid wrote:
          > Hi all,
          > I've been wanting to go on a SLC Research Trip but I don't know how to
          > choose a company to sign up with. What companies have you signed up
          > with and would you recommend them to others?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Callie Reid

          I agree with Bill, go on your own and find a hotel or motel in
          downtown or with a good and easy connection too downtown.
          The following link will help you with finding what you need.
          http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/FHL/frameset_library.asp

          If you are hoping to get research assistance, there are very
          knowledgeable people on each floor and for just about any
          country that you're researching.

          Prepare by having Family Group Sheets from your families and
          film number lists from the library catalog with you.
          Also make a list of all the books that you find in the library
          catalog and have the printout handy so when you get to the
          library all you need to do is ask the front desk person where
          to find the book or film that you are looking for.
          Take a flash drive to hold the copies of the digital images of
          the documents that you will find. A laptop or additional flash
          drives that will serve as backups is a smart way to have some
          insurance.

          The front desk will also have tourist information in case you
          get googly eyed and need to get out for awhile. :-)

          --
          Groetjes
          Peter

          "A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle"
        • william campbell
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 24, 2010
            Hi Callie:

            My wife and I have spent a total of about two weeks in the LDS Family History Library in SLC over the years.
            The last occasion was a 5-day visit with the Ancestors Seekers group. It was by far the most productive. They had resource people available who were generally better informed on the library's holdings and more readily available than the very dedicated volunteers who staff the library.
            We would highly recommend that you explore Ancestors Seekers at
            http://www.ancestorseekers.com

            If you have other questions please feel free to call me at  254-2293

            Cheers

            BILL

            On 4/24/2010 3:23 PM, Callie Reid wrote:
            Hi all,

            I've been wanting to go on a SLC Research Trip but I don't know how to choose a company to sign up with.  What companies have you signed up with and would you recommend them to others?

            Thanks,
            Callie Reid

            "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors."   - Edmund Burke

            WILLIAM CAMPBELL
            CALGARY, Alberta, CANADA

          • Ronna L. Byam
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 26, 2010

              You can get a  free pass at the library’s front desk that enables you to use the cafeteria at the Church Office Building.  They have a great selection of food, their food is good, and the cost is very reasonable.

              Ronna