Re: Identification of Lancaster bomber & crew

  • OJ Zawalsky
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 9, 2010
      You could also try the Aero Space Museum Association in Calgary and the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton, ON www.warplanes.com   These places have had volunteers who flew them.  Do you know where your dad was based?
      O. J. Zawalsky
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 9, 2010
        Another source of information about Lancasters and their crews is the Nanton Museum.  Their URL is:

        http://www.lancastermuseum.ca/

        Charlie Hansen

         On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Gary Gauthier <gary.gauthier@...> wrote:

        > I have a picture of my father and the rest of the crew of a Lancaster bomber in which he flew during WWII.
        > The aircraft is positioned such that the wing interferes with the ability to see the identification markings on the fuselage.
        > Does anyone know of a site on which the picture could be posted to see if anyone can identify the crew members and perhaps the aircraft?
        > I suspect that it would need to be a WWII-related airforce or aircraft site, or having to do with WWII Bomber Command.
        >
        > Regards;
        >
        > Gary Gauthier
        > gary.gauthier@...

      • william campbell
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 9, 2010
          Hi Gary:

          Do you have his regimental number (and name, of course)?

          If so I would suggest that you draw his military service file from Archives Canada and see what it reveals.

          If that isn't appropriate please contact me and we'll go with what information you do have.
          It shouldn't be that difficult.

          Cheers

          BILL

          On 3/9/2010 8:25 AM, Gary Gauthier wrote:
          I have a picture of my father and the rest of the crew of a Lancaster bomber in which he flew during WWII.
          The aircraft is positioned such that the wing interferes with the ability to see the identification markings on the fuselage.
          Does anyone know of a site on which the picture could be posted to see if anyone can identify the crew members and perhaps the aircraft?
          I suspect that it would need to be a WWII-related airforce or aircraft site, or having to do with WWII Bomber Command.

          Regards;

          Gary Gauthier
          gary.gauthier@...

          "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors."   - Edmund Burke

          WILLIAM CAMPBELL
          CALGARY, Alberta, CANADA