Identification of Lancaster bomber & crew

  • Gary Gauthier
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 9 7:25 AM
      I have a picture of my father and the rest of the crew of a Lancaster bomber in which he flew during WWII.
      The aircraft is positioned such that the wing interferes with the ability to see the identification markings on the fuselage.
      Does anyone know of a site on which the picture could be posted to see if anyone can identify the crew members and perhaps the aircraft?
      I suspect that it would need to be a WWII-related airforce or aircraft site, or having to do with WWII Bomber Command.

      Regards;

      Gary Gauthier
      gary.gauthier@...
    • Joan Miller
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 9 9:05 AM
        Hi Gary,
        Have you checked with the military museum here in Calgary?  They might know.  Or the Canadian Legion Magazine. http://www.legionmagazine.com/en/

        Joan Miller
        Luxegen Genealogy

        On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Gary Gauthier <gary.gauthier@...> wrote:
        I have a picture of my father and the rest of the crew of a Lancaster bomber in which he flew during WWII.
        The aircraft is positioned such that the wing interferes with the ability to see the identification markings on the fuselage.
        Does anyone know of a site on which the picture could be posted to see if anyone can identify the crew members and perhaps the aircraft?
        I suspect that it would need to be a WWII-related airforce or aircraft site, or having to do with WWII Bomber Command.

        Regards;

        Gary Gauthier
        gary.gauthier@...

      • OJ Zawalsky
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 9 1:15 PM
          You could also try the Aero Space Museum Association in Calgary and the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton, ON www.warplanes.com   These places have had volunteers who flew them.  Do you know where your dad was based?
          O. J. Zawalsky

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 9 2:23 PM
            Another source of information about Lancasters and their crews is the Nanton Museum.  Their URL is:

            http://www.lancastermuseum.ca/

            Charlie Hansen

             On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Gary Gauthier <gary.gauthier@...> wrote:

            > I have a picture of my father and the rest of the crew of a Lancaster bomber in which he flew during WWII.
            > The aircraft is positioned such that the wing interferes with the ability to see the identification markings on the fuselage.
            > Does anyone know of a site on which the picture could be posted to see if anyone can identify the crew members and perhaps the aircraft?
            > I suspect that it would need to be a WWII-related airforce or aircraft site, or having to do with WWII Bomber Command.
            >
            > Regards;
            >
            > Gary Gauthier
            > gary.gauthier@...

          • william campbell
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 9 7:07 PM
              Hi Gary:

              Do you have his regimental number (and name, of course)?

              If so I would suggest that you draw his military service file from Archives Canada and see what it reveals.

              If that isn't appropriate please contact me and we'll go with what information you do have.
              It shouldn't be that difficult.

              Cheers

              BILL

              On 3/9/2010 8:25 AM, Gary Gauthier wrote:
              I have a picture of my father and the rest of the crew of a Lancaster bomber in which he flew during WWII.
              The aircraft is positioned such that the wing interferes with the ability to see the identification markings on the fuselage.
              Does anyone know of a site on which the picture could be posted to see if anyone can identify the crew members and perhaps the aircraft?
              I suspect that it would need to be a WWII-related airforce or aircraft site, or having to do with WWII Bomber Command.

              Regards;

              Gary Gauthier
              gary.gauthier@...

              "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors."   - Edmund Burke

              WILLIAM CAMPBELL
              CALGARY, Alberta, CANADA