Thomas MacEntee article on genealogy blogging

  • Joan Miller
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8 2:28 PM
      Hi all,
      Here is an interesting article by Thomas MacEntee on genealogy blogging.  It explains what blogging is and why we might want to have a genealogy blog.

      http://experts.archives.com/macentee-thomas/blogging-your-family-history.html

      Thomas will be one of the featured speakers at AFHS October 2010.

      Joan Miller
      Luxegen Genealogy

    • Gary Gauthier
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 9 7:25 AM
        I have a picture of my father and the rest of the crew of a Lancaster bomber in which he flew during WWII.
        The aircraft is positioned such that the wing interferes with the ability to see the identification markings on the fuselage.
        Does anyone know of a site on which the picture could be posted to see if anyone can identify the crew members and perhaps the aircraft?
        I suspect that it would need to be a WWII-related airforce or aircraft site, or having to do with WWII Bomber Command.

        Regards;

        Gary Gauthier
        gary.gauthier@...
      • Joan Miller
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 9 9:05 AM
          Hi Gary,
          Have you checked with the military museum here in Calgary?  They might know.  Or the Canadian Legion Magazine. http://www.legionmagazine.com/en/

          Joan Miller
          Luxegen Genealogy

          On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Gary Gauthier <gary.gauthier@...> wrote:
          I have a picture of my father and the rest of the crew of a Lancaster bomber in which he flew during WWII.
          The aircraft is positioned such that the wing interferes with the ability to see the identification markings on the fuselage.
          Does anyone know of a site on which the picture could be posted to see if anyone can identify the crew members and perhaps the aircraft?
          I suspect that it would need to be a WWII-related airforce or aircraft site, or having to do with WWII Bomber Command.

          Regards;

          Gary Gauthier
          gary.gauthier@...

        • OJ Zawalsky
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 9 1:15 PM
            You could also try the Aero Space Museum Association in Calgary and the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton, ON www.warplanes.com   These places have had volunteers who flew them.  Do you know where your dad was based?
            O. J. Zawalsky

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 9 2:23 PM
              Another source of information about Lancasters and their crews is the Nanton Museum.  Their URL is:

              http://www.lancastermuseum.ca/

              Charlie Hansen

               On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Gary Gauthier <gary.gauthier@...> wrote:

              > I have a picture of my father and the rest of the crew of a Lancaster bomber in which he flew during WWII.
              > The aircraft is positioned such that the wing interferes with the ability to see the identification markings on the fuselage.
              > Does anyone know of a site on which the picture could be posted to see if anyone can identify the crew members and perhaps the aircraft?
              > I suspect that it would need to be a WWII-related airforce or aircraft site, or having to do with WWII Bomber Command.
              >
              > Regards;
              >
              > Gary Gauthier
              > gary.gauthier@...

            • william campbell
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 9 7:07 PM
                Hi Gary:

                Do you have his regimental number (and name, of course)?

                If so I would suggest that you draw his military service file from Archives Canada and see what it reveals.

                If that isn't appropriate please contact me and we'll go with what information you do have.
                It shouldn't be that difficult.

                Cheers

                BILL

                On 3/9/2010 8:25 AM, Gary Gauthier wrote:
                I have a picture of my father and the rest of the crew of a Lancaster bomber in which he flew during WWII.
                The aircraft is positioned such that the wing interferes with the ability to see the identification markings on the fuselage.
                Does anyone know of a site on which the picture could be posted to see if anyone can identify the crew members and perhaps the aircraft?
                I suspect that it would need to be a WWII-related airforce or aircraft site, or having to do with WWII Bomber Command.

                Regards;

                Gary Gauthier
                gary.gauthier@...

                "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors."   - Edmund Burke

                WILLIAM CAMPBELL
                CALGARY, Alberta, CANADA